Do YOU know where YOUR gas mask is?

Khun_Kong

Damn! At 800 degrees Celsius, I'm thinking that gas is going to be the least of your problems!

Be sure to ask at your hotel where your mask is.

I'm sure the response will be the Thai Lobotomy Face .

Gas Mask Regulations from BKK Post, 14 May , 2005

Gas mask regulation found impractical

Unrealistically high standard imposed

ANCHALEE KONGRUT

The specification of gas masks that the Interior Ministry requires highrise and large buildings to provide as part of fire safety measures was unrealistically high, experts and companies selling fire safety products said yesterday.

Under a new regulation, issued on March 8, all highrise buildings, those higher than 23 metres or those with more than 10,000 sq metre utility space, will have to make gas masks available as another safety measure. The number of masks a building was required to store depended on the size of the building.

Hotels are required to have two masks per room while office and educational buildings one mask for every 25 sq m. All masks, with an ability to withstand heat of 800 degrees celcius, must also meet the standard code EN 403 that is used among countries in the European Union, AS/NS 1716:1994 (Australia and New Zealand) and code 248 for Japan. Highrises and big buildings failing to fulfill this requirement would make the building owner liable to one year's imprisonment or a maximum fine of 20,000 baht.

However, Surapat Rungruang, industrial hygienist at Unocal (Thailand), has pointed out that the kind of masks the new regulation was demanding were only being used by fire fighters in the country, not people in the industrial sector or any individuals. He said the specification was even higher than the mask being used by Unocal (Thailand), well-known for its fire safety protection measures.

Thawatchai Chinwiseswong, regulatory and technical support superviser at 3M, said the required masks are costly, they can cost up to 10,000 baht or more, compared to those currently being sold in the market which range in price from 3,000-5,000 baht per piece. In addition, there are also products that can work well and cost just 1,000-2,000 baht per piece. Experts had said from the start that the regulation, which was drafted in 2001, was impractical. But no-one would listen. Not even the most developed countries had such a strict regulation in place for their citizens to follow, they said.

Soonthorn Riewleung, chief of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department under the Interior Ministry, said he did not know how the law originated.

``We do not know who set the specification because this regulation had been prepared years ago by another department, before our department was formed,'' he said. While the regulation was issued by the Interior Ministry, it was the city authorities which had enforced the law.

Experts from the Pollution Control Department (PCD), the Engineering Institute of Thailand and the Siam Architect Association that serve as advisers to the Interior Ministry in drafting fire safety regulations, said they had no idea the Interior Ministry had set such a high standard. ``It was only good for certain companies,'' said Pichaya Chantranuwat, chairwoman of the Engineering Institute of Thailand's fire safety sub-committee.

I am with the government on this one. If you are going to do something, do it right. The complaints are based around the fact quality masks cost more than cheap ones (duh). When your life is on the line, the last thing you want is to have to depend on cheapo knock off product for "home use". Firefighters know the requirements. Don't know why anyone in their right mind would create a lesser standard. They should either equip buildings with real masks or none at all. Otherwise, it becomes more of a feel good measure of questionable value.

Neo-

Agreed, although it sounds like these standards may be a bit too high. I wouldn't doubt that only one company in Thailand sells masks that meet those exact standards and that company has some high ranking ministry officials or their family as major shareholders.

Gas masks should be at least the quality of life jackets on passenger boats. :devil: The problem will be- they just won't be provided- same as those high quality life vests on passenger boats. Eventually, after people die... nothing will STILL happen!

I really want to hear from somebody who is staying in a building that falls under this regulation and has asked management/front desk for their mask. I wonder where they keep the masks at Emporium? Baiyoke Tower? Ambassador Hotel? The Marriott?

I also wonder when the reg is supposed to go into effect?

I left a spare one hanging on a rusty nail behind the door of the Soi 7 Beergarden bog last November. :drunk: Don't know if it'll still be there, but you're welcome to use it in the event of a sudden fire or a prolongued post-vindaloo stinkerooney shitting session. :applause:

jack :help:

No doubt all masks will be required to be stored in the basement (to protect from heat from a fire), in a concrete bunker ( to protect from rodents), down a locked staircase (to protect from theft), and covered in a Mudmee Thai silk ( just because they are ugly and don't 'look proper' in Thai society)

Of course if an establishment lacks any of these facilities they will be exempt from purchasing such masks upon paying a fee to the ministry in charge for a non-compliance license and subject to an annual inspection and relevant fees to insure that they have not secretly built such a concrete bunker.

So, lets see ....... 200 gas masks (probably have to be ceramic to withstand 800 C ) at even 1000 baht each ....... OR ....... a 20K baht fine.?????? Must be another 'One Tamboon, One product' scheme.

On a more serious note, I keep some large plastic bags in an envelope and a working flashlight near the door out of my apartment (15th floor). I've heard it suggested that a large bag filled with air might allow one time to make it out of the building. One certainly shouldn't wait for the fire department to come to the rescue (especially here).

When placing the plastic bag over your head, remember to put the handcuffs on behind your back first as you will only have about 2 minutes of air. :nono:

Inserting the lit flashlight in your rectum will allow the fire dept to locate your body quicker, and please remember to point the light out. ::

Archived