Folder Privacy On XP

ultras67

I just bought a new laptiop with XP and have aset up a couple of user accounts with admin access - 1 for main use and 1 for err.... pictures that umm could be embarassing if the wrong people saw them.

I was logged in under the 2nd name and stored them in my docs - my pics but for some reason I cannot make them private. The security option for this is greyed out. They are not stored in a shared document file so i cannot think why this should be.

Any ideas why this should be? Even the guest account can see them!!

right click the folder and set the folder options by clicking on 'sharing and security'.

remember if you have both act to admin level, you will be able to see them regarless unless you change the permissions of that admin. So make sure NO ONE can log into that admin account.

Are the accounts you are created are for that PC and not part of a network...??

The feature is quite confusing.

When you right click the folder, there is an option to make the folder private. If your computer is not connected to a domain or workgroup, it will remain greyed out.

If your computer is part of a domain or workgroup you can use that option, but only on NTFS partitions not FAT partitions.

Ultras, the option is grayed out because the permissions are inherited from the level above.

First, I would remove the "simple file sharing" - which is very confusing. From Windows Explorer - Choose "Tools", "folder options", "view" and remove the tick in the last box "Use simple file sharing". This gives you much better control of the security options.

Enter "properties" of the directory .Choose "Security", "Advanced" and remove the tick from "Inherit from parent...". Choose "copy" in the next box. You are now able to edit rights any way you want.

cheers!

Security and Microsoft = Non existent.

There are so many programs out there that can crack the so called security of Microsoft's operating systems.

Granted they finally realized they need to harden their OS but they are a long way from being secure.

>>>"Security and Microsoft = Non existent"

Seems to be adequate security options available. Imagine what it would be like if out of the box XP defaults were set to the most restrictive security options. Folder access denied until permissions are configured. No services started except for those absolutely necessary. Firewall that won't allow any connections until manually configured. Use of floppy and cd-rom drives restricted. Apple would gain huge market share from all the disgruntled Windows users.

It makes more sense to offer an operating system and applications that are easy for a novice to use yet offer the ability to tighten security to whatever level a user desires. In XP Pro there should be enough security configuration options available that the most demanding experts will be satisfied.

As usual I welcome links to information detailing flaws in XP security (ones that aren't the result of improper user configuration). The only one that comes to mind isn't really a flaw but something that could easily improve security is the firewall should be able to prevent outbound connections. But then again there may be some advanced security configurations that have the same effect.

thanks cbk, i will try that.

stday3, thats what i was doing, the option is grayd out and i cannot select it.

lh - i am not sure if that is true because on my old laptop both accounts had admin access and i couldnt access the naughty files from my main account.

Archived