How healthy is your average Thai food?

Zorro

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you look the numbers the Thai food is far more healty than farang food, less cancer, less heart disease, les diabetes and they are less fat.

It is easy to compare, when you go in big city like Bangkok where fast farand food is available you can see fat kids and you rarely see fat kid like that up country.

Until us farang will get has healty like Thai people I will stick to Thai food in Thailand.

Falang

You can eat very healthy food in most western countries but the problem is that most people make the wrong choices when it comes to food and the other issue is of course a sedentary lifestyle.

I don't think your average Thai food is very healthy as discussed before it is high in fat, sodium and usually sugar as well. The fact that people are not as fat also doesn't necessarily mean that they are healthier.

Now if you were to say that the traditional Japanese diet is healthier than your average western diet then i would agree with you as they eat a good diet although a little high in sodium.

>http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/s/stomach_cancer/stats-country.htm

That data is not well presented. Cancer data is normally presented in incidence per 100,000 population. The semi-raw figures there are difficult to assess.

In my admittedly hazy recollection, the incidence of stomach cancer is highest in Asia, and I *think* its top in Japan.

A *quick* (and rough) calculation on the data:

USA 23,319 293,655,4051 (approx 1 case per 12,800 population)

Japan 10,111 127,333,0022 (approx 1 case per 12,700 population)

Thailand 5,151 64,865,5232 (approx 1 case per 12,800).

Actaully all look pretty close. Don't have access

to my real cancer data tables ta the moment, if I can find the time will try to dig up and post better figures.

-j-

"the kind of diet I have in Thailand is causing my body to produce less cholesterol "

Dont know what you eat but the majority of my friends that I have talked to including 45Kg girls have high cholesterol

All thai food is cooked in oil for exactly 2 mins. Does not matter what the hell it is; it is cooked for 2 mins. Plus those tasty fried pork strips will kill ya

Diabetes is also on the rise but I think it always was high and just went undiagnosed. The lastest that I have read was close to 10% of the population was diabetic, even with a low average BMI. But as we all know, thais are generally lazy when it comes to exercise. Still not anywhere near the 1 in four diabetic Canadians over the age of 45. Ouch!!

OK, had a quick look around. Pretty much as I recalled.

>Adenocarcinoma of the stomach is a common cancer of the digestive tract worldwide, although it is relatively uncommon in the US. It occurs most frequently in men over 40 years old. The incidence of this form of gastric cancer is extremely high in Japan, Chile, and Iceland.

from

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000223.htm

and

>Gastric cancer is more common and is the major cause of cancer-related death in Asian countries such as Korea, China, Taiwan and Japan.

from

http://www.cancerconsultants.com/syndication/getMainNEW.jsp?type=TNPV&ctypeid=9&lid=1

and this interesting article puts gastic cancer as number 10 in incidence amongst males in Thailand

http://www.scientific-com.com/oncology/vol6.1/feature/

-j-

Just replying to the thread.

On my last trip I spent a month in Thailand. I ate about 90% Thai food and when I got home was pleasantly surprised to find I had lost about 18 lbs without even trying. Not only that but the whole time I was there I was also drinking probably an average of a liter of beer each day. I think I just ate a lot less food and also think the heat may have had something to do with the weight loss. Anyway, I think the weight loss was pretty healthy for me. I'm hoping it will happen again on my next trip.

I do suspect though that the oil most places use for stir frying is not particularly healthy.

Same here, I usually lose 5 to 8 pounds. I'm not fat at all, actually fairly trim, with good muscle tone. So when I lose the weight it's quite interesting, because like you, I eat mostly thai, and drink 3 to 5 beers a day. I still lose weight. Must be the heat& humidity.

Chok dee,

HOKS

I lose weight whenever in Thailand and also Asia. i do think the traditional Japanese diet is quite healthy, dried fish for breakfast? who wants to eat that? I starve and lose weight. but I thought it was the high dioxin levels in the soil, as well as all the shit chemical fertilizers they put into Japanese rice that was responsible for the high gastric cancer rates.

the heat, the diet, etc. drinking much more water than in any western country...

how much does one shot of cum weigh? how many calories do you burn having sex?

sexercise, and a healthy diet. the way to a long life.

Peace! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Took me less than a minute to find .

are you saying my dietician is an idiot?

"I've heard it's okay to eat eggs. The WELLNESS LETTER has said shrimp is okay. Both these foods are rich in cholesterol, so why are they okay?

It all depends on how much of these foods you eat and in what context?and what your personal risk factors are. One egg contains about 215 milligrams of cholesterol; the recommended daily maximum is 300 milligrams. Thus, as we discussed in January, it would be okay to eat an egg if the other foods you eat that day are low in cholesterol. Shrimp contain more cholesterol than most shellfish (175 milligrams in 3 ounces)?but, like eggs, they are low in saturated fat, and shrimp, in moderate amounts, have a place in a heart-healthy diet. The American Heart Association suggests a weekly maximum of four eggs for healthy people, including eggs consumed in baked goods and other recipes. If you love eggs and are at low risk for heart disease, you might want to eat more than four. But you should make sure, via periodic blood tests, that your cholesterol level doesn't shoot up. On the other hand, if your blood cholesterol is high or if you have other risk factors for heart disease or already have heart disease, you should probably follow a more stringent diet, avoiding foods high in cholesterol and saturated fat."

And from http://www.foodmarketexchange.com/datacenter/industry/article/idf_shrimp_drains.htm

Shrimp and Dietary Cholesterol

Cholesterol from food has a negative impact only if it is absorbed, and saturated fat seems to assist absorption. Eating food with a highly saturated fat content raises LDL cholesterol. Most high-cholesterol foods (such as meat, eggs, and dairy products) are also high in saturated fat, and increase LDL.

Shrimp have a high level of cholesterol, but have essentially no saturated fat (slightly over I gram per serving, compared to beef, which can have 10 to 20 grams). And shrimp's cholesterol is harder to absorb than that from other high-fat foods, although the reasons are not known.

In the past, scientists could not differentiate the different sterols and measured them all as "cholesterol". This is why the amount of cholesterol in shrimp and other shellfish reported is very high.

We now know that the amount of cholesterol in shrimp is approximately 130 mg per 3 oz of raw shrimp, or about 12 large shrimp, and with only 2 grams of fat. The amount of cholesterol in a comparable portion of regular ground beef is about 110 mg, with approximately 20 grams of fat. And shrimp have high levels of beneficial highly unsaturated fatty acids, which raise HDL cholesterol levels, so eating shrimp may actually lower blood cholesterol levels.

Archived