Thai Alphabet Flashcards

My learning to read Thai is going as slowly as I expected???..

As I do not seem to get along with or enjoy learning online I thought I would get myself some ?Flashcards?. I could not find myself anything on the Net (for free!) that suited me ? so I have made my own. I also thought that making them would help my learning ? it didn?t really!

One side of each ?Flashcard? has the Thai characters and script and the other has the same plus the English ?answers?.

Before I print the final versions out (I am using sheets of pre-cut Business Cards) I would appreciate it if someone could give them a quick look over to see if I have done anything silly.............I am especially curious about the letters numbered 14 and 15 which from my Dictionary appear to be identical????? but WTF do I know! I am sure there are also good reasons for having 6 letter T?s, which I look forward to discovering later???? ::

(Hopefully not too many mistakes - as I have already started learning some of the early versions!)

I have put the ?Flashcards? on an old website of mine

Thai Flash Cards

(Don't ask about the rest of the site!).

Hopefully they should download as Word Docs.

Ignore the waffle on the website, just talking to myself so that in 6 months time I can remember / laugh at what my intentions were?????

Not sure if I will bother with Flashcards for the Vowels................

Lots of ??????? today for some reason?????

Limbo,

Thanks a lot - now I have it!

(I must remember to change the Web Site tommorow!)

I thought it was a bit strange - I blame the very small type face on my dictionary! - I was squinting at it from all angles and just couldn't see the difference :: and I figure as I know that there is so much that I do not know, that it maybe possible to have two the same. TIT and all that :D

Having seen the Thai language so much over the years and just ignoring it as being incomprenhensible, it is strange and quite encouraging to see Thai "squiggles" suddenly starting to have some meaning - even if only at the moment with 3/4 letter words - and in fits and starts!

Whenever I get fed up I think to myself "this time next year I will be knee deep in Thai Internet Pussy" ::

There is a learn to read Thai CD put out by the Australian National University. Costs a lot from them, but can be found at Panthip Plaza for 100 baht!

Great for the practicing alphabet on your PC, but I was disappointed at how little actual reading practice there was. I read Thai no problem and got the CD simply hoping for some interesting reading passages for practice. There aren't any. Otherwise a quite useful CD though.

I am also learning to read Thai.

I made an Excel spreadsheet (Ver 2002) with all the consonants and vowels on a single page with like this ...

ก Thai letter

Gor Gai Name

Chicken meaning

k/k sound

1 / mid number/tone

Then I have all the consonants sorted by letter shape per a research article on identifying (reading) letters by their similarities and differences. So for example, these are grouped together ...

ผ ฝ พ ฟ ฬ

(Phor phueng, Phor fhaa, Phor phaan, For fun, Lor Chulaa)

with the information above so you can distinguish easily.

Then I have all the consonants grouped by English sound so for example all 't' sounding letters are grouped together.

The last two pages fit on one page, the first takes a whole page and the two can be placed back to back and laminated.

Email me for a copy if interested paul19477@yahoo.com

Mention nanaplaza.com in the subject field so I can easily see it and not let it sit in the Junk folder.

Paul

Archived