Top 100 movie quotes

redwood13

redwood13 said:

The American Film Institute (AFI) revealed the top movie quotes of all time in AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes,................ A jury of 1,500 film artists, critics and historians selected "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," spoken by Clark Gable in the celebrated Civil War epic, GONE WITH THE WIND as the most memorable movie quote of all time.

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx#list

-redwood

Would have been neater if they provide a small .mp3 clip of each quote.

Go ahead, make my day!

Shit.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see "Follow the money" from "All The President's Men" made the best 400 list but didn't make the final cut. There was an interesting story by Frank Rich about that line in the NY Times the other day.

"The press was awash last week with stories of the surfacing of Mark Felt as Deep Throat. Several quoted his terse directive to Woodward, "Follow the money". Wrongly, it turns out.

THE morning the Deep Throat story broke, the voice on my answering machine was as raspy as Hal Holbrook's. "I just want you to remember that I wrote 'Follow the money,' " said my caller. "I want to know if anybody will give me credit. Watch for the accuracy of the media!"

The voice belonged to my friend William Goldman, who wrote the movie "All the President's Men." His words proved more than a little prescient. As if on cue, journalists everywhere - from The New York Times to The Economist to The Washington Post itself - would soon start attributing this classic line of dialogue to the newly unmasked Deep Throat, W. Mark Felt. But the line was not in Woodward and Bernstein's book or in The Post's Watergate reportage or in Bob Woodward's contemporaneous notes. It was the invention of the author of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "Marathon Man" and "The Princess Bride."

-redwood13

"Not."Wayne's World

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving."Apocalypse Now

"Hey, man, you don't talk to the Colonel. You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet-warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll, uh, well, you'll say hello to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you, and he won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say do you know that if is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you - I mean I'm no, I can't - I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's, he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas..." Apocalpse Now

"The machinist, the one they called Chef, was from New Orleans. He was wrapped too tight for Vietnam, probably wrapped too tight for New Orleans. Lance on the forward 50's was a famous surfer from the beaches south of LA. You look at him and you wouldn't believe he ever fired a weapon in his whole life. Clean, Mr. Clean, was from some South Bronx shithole. Light and space of Vietnam really put the zap on his head. Then there was Phillips, the Chief. It might have been my mission, but it sure as shit was Chief's boat."Apocalpse Now

"When I was here, I wanted to be there, when I was there all I could think of was getting back into the jungle." Apocalpse Now

"How many people had I already killed? There was those six that I know about for sure. Close enough to blow their last breath in my face. But this time it was an American and an officer. That wasn't supposed to make any difference to me, but it did. Shit... charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets in the Indy 500. I took the mission. What the hell else was I gonna do?"Apocalpse Now

"Charlie don't surf!"Apocalpse Now

"People who really want to have a good time won't come to a slaughterhouse. And we've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry. "Roadhouse

"I used to fuck guys like you in prison." Roadhouse

"Nobody ever wins a fight." Roadhouse

"Don't ever marry an ugly woman, she'll suck the life right out of ya." Roadhouse

"That gal's got entirely too many brains to have an ass like that." Roadhouse

"I reckin' I'll get plenty of rest after I'm dead." Roadhouse

"Take the biggest guy in the world, shatter his knee and he'll drop like a stone." Roadhouse

"22 years. Man, L.A. has changed a lot during that time. The air got dirty and the sex got clean."Point Break

"Kiss me. When I'm being fucked, I like to get kissed a lot."Dog Day Afternoon

"Attica! Attica!" Dog Day Afternoon

"Last time I came over, I almost got brain damaged. You girls party too hard, you ought to be a tag team."Staying alive

"There's a passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you. I been sayin' that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a motherfucker before you popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin': it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd."Pulp fiction

"What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' niggers, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass."Pulp Fiction

"I don't need you to tell me how fucking good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys SHIT. Me, I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I wanjt to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It AIN'T the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead nigger in my garage. No, let me ask you a question. When you came pulling in here, did you see a sign out in front of my house that said Dead Nigger Storage?"Pulp Fiction

"Normally, both your asses would be dead as fucking fried chicken, but you happen to pull this shit while I'm in a transitional period so I don't wanna kill you, I wanna help you. But I can't give you this case, it don't belong to me. Besides, I've already been through too much shit this morning over this case to hand it over to your dumb ass."Pulp Fiction

"Tony, kin I wipe off ya forehead?" Saturday Night Fever

"I'll tell you something. If YOU'RE as good in bed as YOU are on the dance floor, then you're one lousy fuck."Saturday Night Fever

Kersey: Do you believe in Jesus?

Mob: Yes I do.

Kersey: Now you going to meet him. Death Wish II

These are direct quotes from the aforementioned movies, and I don't mean any offense to the black members on this board.

Guest lazyphil

?There was a time I could see. And I have seen. Boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there isn?t nothin? like the sight of an amputated spirit. There is no prosthetic for that. You think you?re merely sending this splendid foot soldier back home to Oregon with his tail between his legs, but I say you are? executin? his soul! And why? Because he?s not a Bairdman. Bairdmen. You hurt this boy, you?re gonna be Baird bums, the lot of ya. And Harry, Jimmy, Trent, wherever you are out there, fuck you, too! ? - Lt. Colonel Frank Slade, Scent of a Woman

Am I a nigger? Are we in Inglewood? No... You're in my home. White people who know the difference between good shit and bad shit, this is the house they come to. Now, my shit, I'll take the Pepsi challenge with that Amsterdam shit, any day of the fuckin' week. Pulp Fiction

"Honey, I'm home."The Shining

"Check out the big brain on Brett. You one smart motherfucker."Pulp Fiction

Archived