Will Serena Williams be a sore loser?

Tiger Moth

Since TV revenues have made people who play children's sport games into very, very wealthy people, it seems like only those who can't stand to lose remain at the top of their game.

Examples of athletes who were driven: Michael Jordan (basketball, of course), Jimmy Connors (tennis), Martina Navritalova (tennis) - and ones who are driven: A-Rod (baseball) (could have relaxed after signing a contract for $250 million US a few years ago), Bernard Hopkins (boxing).

But, many of the top athletes become complacent with their weath and fame. We as fans are then subjected to sub-standard performance by many of the most talented as a result.

Will Serena Williams, who seemed like she would be dominant for years (OK, she won the Austrailian this year but the competition was lacking due to injuries to several of the best woman's players) be able to be a sore loser and have the drive to achieve her potential.

After her loss the other day: "Now, that stoic veneer gone after a 6-3, 7-6 (4) defeat against 85th-ranked Jill Craybas in the third round, Williams acknowledged for the first time that perhaps she couldn't get by on talent and reputation alone.

Perhaps she needed to rededicate herself to tennis.

Perhaps she needed to get in better shape.

Perhaps -- gasp! -- she needed to actually get out there and work on her game.

"I definitely think it's important for me to practice harder than what I have been," Williams said Saturday night, a pink visor pulled low above her reddened eyes. "I've never been big on practicing. I've kind of just been all about playing."

I don't think so..... another case of lost potential...

Archived