*Sigh* More Drug Testing

Khun_Kong

From Pattaya Mail

Caught 1 out of 800! 0.125%!! Asswipes

My favorite line: "The justice minister was then led to Walking Street where a number of venues were inspected before he returned to Bangkok." Yeah honey, I was "inspecting some venues" tonight.

Double asswipe!!

Link

Justice minister and police tour nightspots looking for drug users

Fiasco ensues after minister leaves

Boonlua Chatree

Justice Minister Suwat Liptapanlop toured Pattaya?s nightclubs shortly after midnight last Friday evening, accompanied by senior drug suppression police and forensic officers.

Justice Minister Suwat Liptapanlop, senior drug suppression police and forensic officers toured Pattaya?s entertainment venues looking for drugs.

Their first stop was the Star Dice in Naklua. Police blocked the doors and began testing all 400 people inside for drug use. Only one person tested positive, namely Cheng Chang Ko, 31, from Hong Kong, who tests revealed was on methamphetamines.

Another tourist from Hong Kong, in a drunken state, began to create a scene and police moved in to detain him, placing handcuffs on him. He was later released when he had quieted down.

The justice minister was then led to Walking Street where a number of venues were inspected before he returned to Bangkok.

Police remained in Walking Street, however, and entered Lucifer Discotheque. Inside 400 people were herded together for drug testing. Club management turned off the air conditioning and the overheated atmosphere sent desperate clubbers gasping for the door. The result was broken glass and damage to the property as 10 police officers failed to hold their ground and test the frustrated crowd.

Only one person tested positive, namely Cheng Chang Ko, 31, from Hong Kong, who tests revealed was on methamphetamines. .......

I wonder how many things give false positives for this,

I think its made from cold capsules , which are now regulated in California !

Yeah, speed can be made using a popluar decongestant, and there are movements across the U.S. to take it off store shelves. This same decongestant is also available in over-the-counter perparations sold here in Thailand, and one that comes to mind is a very popular cold "remedy". If the drug test detects this ingredient or its metabolites, then 1 out of 400 seems low. so the test may well be senstive to something far less innocent.

Since so few drug users are caught, one can only surmise that these fishing expiditions seem to be for some reason other than to catch drug users. I'll leave it at that for now.

This same decongestant is also available in over-the-counter perparations sold here in Thailand, and one that comes to mind is a very popular cold "remedy". If the drug test detects this ingredient or its metabolites, then 1 out of 400 seems low. so the test may well be senstive to something far less innocent.
I certainly hope so. I know that many farangs take non-drowsy antihistamines to deal with Bagnkok's tremendous pollution. In fact, when I first moved here, I thought I constantly had a cold, until a doctor told me to start taking antihistamines, which promptly solved the problem. I take Telefast; anyone know if that can cause a false positive?
Since so few drug users are caught, one can only surmise that these fishing expiditions seem to be for some reason other than to catch drug users. I'll leave it at that for now.
I agree. In Bangkok, they had iTV film the beginning of a raid on Q Bar before the tests began. This type of grandstanding helps divert attention from real problems.

I mentioned this before, but Farang magazine had an excellent article recently on drug raids. The article quoted a police captain who said the raids where probably unlawful under the Thai constitution.

Irrespective of their questionable legality, it really is a foolish policy. In Saturday's IHT there was a report on a forum of Thai economists who concluded that future growth and poverty reduction in Thailand depended on two things: (1) more foreign trade and (2) more tourism. Nothing surprising in any of that. And it shows how these urine tests - which don't have any affect on the drug trade but really annoy tourists - are very shortsighted and foolish.

I agree.....If a particualr bar DOES have a problem with drugs, then fine, raid them, but to raid a bar just as a show of publicity does nothing for their tourism.

Anyhoo, on a seperate note, I dont think I will be taking my paracetamol with me to LOS :down: just in case those customs guys get a bit funny

Archived