Penang

Fiery Jack

Soppy,

You seem to have the best insight in night life in penang I've encountered sofar.

How about Slippery Senoritas, that's just a disco?

I do agree with remarks about the food, it's really good in penang but the missus didn't like it too much because it wasn't Thai!

• 2 weeks later...

being from KL, i can't really offer much info about Penang. been there a few times a loooong time ago. The full name is Pulau Pinang or Pinang Island. pinang is a palm like tree, but since the farang who ruled Malaya till 1957 cant really pronounce it like the locals, it became known also as Penang. for Malaysians though, Penang is always associated with good food. Gurney drive is a must visit.

Nasi Kandar or mamak (Indian Muslim) mix rice is the staple in Penang. a concoction of mixed curry (fish, beef, mutton, chicken, sweet gravy) over a mountain of rice, furnished with your choice of other dishes. oh, don't forget the papadom - that's the big, round, thin, crispy cracker. You can find nasi kandar in KL too but nothing is authentic as the one in Penang. if you can find it, look out for one named "Line Clear".

can't comment about the nightlife too - KL have the best clubs and discos, and the crowd of course so i never bother checking them out.

the beach is nothing to shout about, other places offer better views and sand. If you go Langkawi, check the northern tip with the Andaman Sea for a cool beach, further up is Phuket. East Coast has better beaches - Trengganu, Perhentian Island, etc. Or try Kota Kinabalu - Sabah off the top of Borneo.

Penang is actually very classical - part of it at least. Very rich historically, if you care. Certain places looks like its frozen from the late 50's with white washed colonial buildings complete with 50's Volvo in the porch.

That's Penang from me.

I think Penang is a great spot...it has fabulous food..Chinese, Indian, and other...those who move to Penang joke about how much weight they gain over the year...great architecture, very low key....the Thai Consulate is probably the best of them in SE Asia, you can get just about anything. There are plenty of massage spots in the fancy hotels as well as in the Health Clubs...some are pretty good...do a search on Sammy Boy's Asian Values Forum...I've had some good experiences there...prices are about the same as say going to a massage place on Ratchada Road....it is not Thailand, but a very nice spot to hang out for a few days, and of course Lankawi Island is near, as are the Cameron Highlands, and KL isn't far off.

Archived