Chiang Mai circa 1980

chuckwoww

Back in the eighties here. For some reason I was in Chiang Mai hanging around the night bazar. It really was a proper bazar in those days and there were lots of little bars there then and I got involved with one. Bought a share in it because of a girl called Nipha and her partner Wai (?) I had a share in it for about 30,000 baht. The whole thing was worth about 100, 000 baht. This was when a beer Sing sold for 20 baht.The girls did all the work ordering the stock, ice ,paying the rent etc. My job was just to sit there and make the place look busy. The trick was to try to get falangs to sit down and ideally order Mekhong sets. I got quite good at it. I'd keep them busy until one of the freelancers arrived to take over.. Very small potatoes. If we made a thousand baht profit that was a good night. Wai had a fat boyfriend called Keith who worked for the DEA. He'd go out in a helicopter and cut down poppy fields in the day. Then he'd drink whatever at night. Nipha had two or three guys on the go. A couple of Italians and an American who phoned every day. I didn't care. It was amusing and I was learning things. It all fell apart when I met a girl called Duan and Nipha decided to sell the bvar for the twentieth time to some sucker from Arizona.. Not to worry. I was glad to get my money back and I'd met some interesting people. There was a fire in the market shortly after anyway, started in a massage parlour, and the bars all burnt down. No insurance, I didn't give a shit.....by that time I was living in a Karen village feeding chickens in the morning and digging up roots by night with a flashlight. They made teak furniture in the village. That's if if they could find any teak. Finding teak is interesting too. CW very pissed and farting in the wind

MaiLuk said:

>digging up roots

What sorta roots?

Well it was dark and there was no electricity so I'm not sure. We'd dig them up in the forest give them a bit of a scrape and roast them on the fire. My front would be toasted and my back would be freezing. Then we'd all get into one bed. Very cozy. First one up would get the fire going again and make breakfast. Rice and tadpoles usually, maybe an egg if you were lucky. :)

Archived