The Gem Business

I'm currently a GIA student and am interested in getting into the Gem business. Part of the reason I'm coming to BKK is to attend the Gem fair in September. If anyone is currently in the business and would be willing to share some tips with a newbe I would be very grateful. I have a business idea I'd like to discuss the merits of. I don't expect free advice so would be willing to work out some sort of payment to a qualified person.

This is an information gathering trip only. Please do not offer to sell me anything, I'm still a student and would not give anyone 1 Baht for their best Mogok ruby. Sorry to be so cynical but we all know about the scams that abound.

Please PM me.

but we all know about the scams that abound.

-----------------------------------------

Hopefully, the GIA studies will help you see the difference, though it's true in BKK you don't even need to the gem to know it's fake.

Hi, There, I have been both a GIA and AIGS student a while ago. Not in the business at all, but I think Randomshots, another member, is.

it's a business based on trust, that take years to acquire and seconds to destroy. Depending on what aspect of the business you are interested, buying them from wholesellers, cut already, I think best to work with a company with good reputation as an employee, to establish yourself and get inside. Anything else, one is on our own, and it's a arduous road, with plenty of investment to put in if to be looked at seriously. a nice gem fetches easily in the 1000s, a good one, 100s, and that's one only. Well, you know that. Just wanted to say congrats by starting the right way, being a GIA student.

HappyFarang,

when is the next cocktail party in GIA?? I might drop in if in town...

On the contrary of P127, I'd advise U to skip all employee time and work on your own if u're cut for it. Not obvious choice though, many guys I know can't endure the pressure and feel better off working for someone else. No idea about your business plan but basically a very risky trade , which is OK for me as I wasn't exactly a government employee earlier on . Again -nothing personnal- despite what P127 said, no matter how long time is needed to get trusted, people often confide very significant amount of money/goods to dealers they hardly know if they feel they can make profit. Interesting stuff to see the goods moving around the globe and the raffinate/futile power people have on their belongings. Weird stuf going on and quite happy I got back yesterday literally thousands of carats I hardly knew where they were or with whom except it was in lebanon. In other words an interesting field and definetely various approaches to it- GIA definetely not the most exciting but prolly a sensitive start.

Good luck

Random

"GIA definetely not the most exciting but prolly a sensitive start."

Oups... I meant a sensible start... About starting your own business rather than working for someone else, I meant you'll prolly learn faster if playing with your own money.

Just learnt that Barcelona's fair is put off untill february, everyday has its share of surprise...

May I ask how old are you??

I just got back to BKK BTW, PM if U wanna hook up

Cheers!

Random

Archived