This crap always pisses me off!

Flashermac

The effing US govmt takes a black Cuban, a white Spaniard and a Central American Indian and lumps them all together as Hispanic. So now even Spaniards no longer are white folks? Most Hispanics I know look no different from me! Why not take African-Americans, English speaking Asian-Americans, and the rest of us and call us Anglophones!

Texas Becomes a Majority-Minority State

Aug 11, 2005

By ALICIA A. CALDWELL

EL PASO, Texas (AP) - Texas has become the fourth state to have a non-white majority population, the U.S. Census Bureau said Thursday, a trend driven by a surging number of Hispanics moving to the state.

According to the population estimates based on the 2000 Census, about 50.2 percent of Texans are now minorities. In the 2000 Census, minorities made up about 47 percent of the population in the second-largest state.

Texas joins California, New Mexico and Hawaii as states with majority-minority populations - with Hispanics the largest group in every state but Hawaii, where it is Asian-Americans.

Five other states - Maryland, Mississippi, Georgia, New York and Arizona - aren't far behind, with about 40 percent minorities.

Public policy analysts said these states and the country as a whole need to bring minority education and professional achievement to the levels of whites. Otherwise, these areas risk becoming poorer and less competitive.

William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., said lawmakers need to start with immigration reform, while striving to bring minorities' education and salary levels in line with Anglos.*

"Immigration is good for the United States ... it's important for us to keep our doors open, but we need to keep an eye on the people coming in," Frey said. "While initially it will be a state problem, eventually it will be a national issue, and education is the best way to deal with it."

Complications from the cultural shift aren't likely to be exclusive to states that already have majority-minority populations, Frey said.

Nevada, for instance, has seen a massive influx of minorities in the last 15 years, reducing the percentage of Anglos since the 1990s from nearly 80 percent to about 60 percent. Such a rapid shift is likely to cause growing pains that include trying to balance the needs of a bigger and younger minority community with an aging Anglo community, Frey said.

"That's the kind of state that is going to have to deal with quick transition," Frey said.

Though some areas may never see this shift, the country as a whole is expected to continue the trend first noticed more than a decade ago.

The nation should be more than half minorities by 2050, said Steve Murdock, a demographer at the University of Texas at San Antonio.

"If you look in the 1990s, in every one of the 50 states, non-Anglo Hispanic populations grew faster than Anglo populations," Murdock said. "It's a very pervasive pattern."

*When I was a kid, being called an Anglo was an insult! About the same as calling a Mexican-American a wet-back or a "greaser". And what the fork is a "majority-minority"???

::

Flashermac said:

... According to the population estimates based on the 2000 Census, about 50.2 percent of Texans are now minorities. ...

Wouldn't that make the non-minorities ..... the new minority?

Quick- enact special legislation/grants/programs for the white guys! :)

I loved it when, at my university in the '70s, there were programs setup for the disadvantaged minorities, with all kinds of grade and income statistics being compared to justify the spending on these DISCRIMINATORY (you weren't eligible if you were a white guy) programs.

Asians, were specifically EXCLUDED from those minority statistics. To include them would have made the disparities not so disparate!

LazyP (sounds like the name of a dude ranch in Texas :p)-

I think America is unique in its blend of minorities/immigrants. Not really silly, but a reality that those already there feel it is "their" country/state/city.

I think you are from England, yes? Wouldn't there be a similar "silly" response there if/when the Indian/Pakistani/Jamaican/etc groups become the majority, gain voting power and start enacting laws favorable to their goals, i.e., education must also be given in some Indian dialect and YOU get to pay for this parallel program, Pakistani owned companies are given precedence over majority British companies in competition for government projects?

Great story in the States: after special contract provisions were made for companies owned by "Hispanic surname" individuals, a bunch of white guys changed their last names, so as to compete on a level playing field.

Shlomo Nethenyahu Rodriguez, anybody? :)

I was a uni student in the '60s, though I finished my MA in '71. It was equally silly back then. My father paid for my undergrad education (thanks, dad!). I paid for my MA.

I remember my father complaining one day that I could not receive any educational grants because of MY RACE. There were special funds for black students, Hispanic students, Asian students, "Native American" students etc. But any "white only" funds would have been attacked as racist. Also, my father made a bit too much for me to qualify for any low income family funds either. The US has been forked up one way or the other almost since its beginning. It is just different racial and ethnic groups that get the shaft at different times and in different degrees.

If you look at a US Census form, what categories do you see? Caucasian (racial), African-American (racial), Asian-American (racial), Native American and Pacific Islander (racial) ... and then Hispanic (linguistic!). Remember President Fujimori in Peru? If he came to the US, he would have been Hispanic! A lot of mixed race people have been complaining too. Suppose a white American marries a Thai and has children. What race are they? Got to pick one, no Eurasian or Afro-Asian categories allowed. I had a friend in the Peace Corps who was 1/2 white, 3/8 Menominee Indian and 1/8 black. So what was he???

Oh, and women constitute more than half of the US population. However, they are legally defined as a minority anyway. Huh?

<< Great story in the States: after special contract provisions were made for companies owned by "Hispanic surname" individuals, a bunch of white guys changed their last names, so as to compete on a level playing field. >>

Hola, gringo! Que tal? Me llamo Flashero Macarena. Yo soy de California ... es verdad, ching ching. No go-hoke. (Oops ... gotta practice my Spanish more to pull this off.)

:idea:

p.s. When I was a kid I WAS a minority ... in Dona Ana County, New Mexico. That was before all of those Jewish doctors and other rich folks moved into Mesilla and Las Cruces was a nice little town.

In all seriousness , these census are only to distribute gov $$ to certain districts , the " Robin Hood " theory , keep the poor happy and let them live off the government , let them claim minority status , yet elevate them in income , whether working or not , total bullshit IMHO , but then again , that's the american way.... :rolleyes:

Bada :: Bing

Archived