Recent Suan Plu Changes

bkkman

For those who do not know ....

Suan Plu now has (for many months) an information booth right at the door which issues waiting line tickets for all windows.

And Room 101, where Visa extensions are handled has been completely remodeled. It has almost 3-4 times the floor space of the old room and is brand new. Now if they only could computerize all those stacks of papers, they could really be a first class operation.

I renewed my visa today ... and wondered what the hell was going on. Everything seemed to have been changed! Another fella was roaming around in confusion too, trying to figure out where everything had been moved too. Admittedly, it is much easier now. But every time I go there is seems to have been changed again.

I did get a real cutie of a police sergeant to wait on me. But I did discover one thing I didn't like. She actually stapled a slip of paper on the page opposite my visa. The paper is a notice that you MUST report your address every 90 days, or be subject of a fine up to 5,000 baht and 200 baht for every day you failed to report it. Looks like they are finally getting serious about that idiotic rule.

The assinine thing is that the notice says it is according to a regulation of 2522. Now that happens to have been during a military government with an unelected prime minister. Thaksin may be a democractically elected PM -- and in fact the first with a majority in the legislature. Howsomever, he loves to drag up these decrees and "laws" that were simply proclaimed long ago by a group of military despots. That law about liquor sales hours is another one. It was pronounced by some generals without any legal standing except the power of their troops. Can you imagine say the Federal Republic of Germany instituting laws from Hitler's time, or Italy restoring some of Mussolini's decrees? Maybe France will bring back some of the Vichy laws next???

T'is a puzzlement.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived