My first drink in LOS.

saucier01

It was Friday night. Normally, I spent my Fridays working 'till midnight or later. Standard routine was to go grab a few beers at a bar just down the block from where I worked. Not this Friday. This was a day that would change my vacation, my goals, and my life. I was going out to meet some people I had only the briefest acquaintance with.

I got ready and went down to the hotel lobby. I was headed to the Patpong district of Bangkok. All I knew of Patpong was, a lot of bars in the area. My hotel was set far back, on a side street, or as the Thais call them, a soi. Coming out of the hotel I felt like I had walked into a sauna. Bangkok?s weather is notoriously hot and humid. It was only my second day in the City of Angels, so I opted to take the free tuk tuk to the main road. The tuk tuks are unpleasant at best. Climbing on board, I thumped down in the seat, and wedged myself in. I had to brace myself for the teeth rattling ride. Earplugs would have been a good addition too.

A minute later I was out of the tuk tuk and on Sukhumvit. After about five minutes, and one Camel, I hailed a cab. I felt as if I was doused with water. Climbing into the back of the cab was a relief. The air-con was going full blast and some Thai pop music was blaring from the radio. A block later we hit traffic. Hitting traffic in Bangkok is like running head on into a brick wall. The photographs of cars backed up for miles did not lie. I had chosen the wrong time of day to travel. I guess it beats walking. Figuring I had a lot of time to kill I tried what little Thai I knew, on my taxi driver. After the third question I gave up. The driver was more interested in driving than listening to some tourist speak in pidgin Thai. I just settled down and tried to listen to the radio. When the taxi arrived at Patpong, I pulled a 100 Baht note out of my wallet, about $2.50 U.S. and gave it to the driver. I didn?t wait for change. After spending one and some half hours in traffic I wanted out. My body hurt from sitting for so long. Emerging, my legs were a bit shaky, I staggered along for a few meters before my legs regained their strength.

I lit up another Camel, took a few nervous drags and plunged into Patpong. Along with the bars, it is also famous for its street bazaar. I walked past stalls of fake Rolex, Gucci handbags, Nike shoes, and stall after stall of pirated CD?s. There are the food vendors selling bugs, and snake blood. My vision was getting blurry from having a sensory overload. Sight, sound, smell, feel, were all bombarding me. I stopped and sat on the curb for a minute. I knew that I would pass out if I continued any further. I closed my eyes and finished the rest of my cigarette. Rising, I started to laugh, a good hearty belly laugh. I couldn?t control myself. I didn?t draw any stares. I was enraptured at being somewhere so exotic. I was in a foreign land, yet felt at home. I wasn?t overwhelmed by the bazaar or bizarre anymore. I wandered along the street and found a small passage that led to another street with more of the same on it. I ignored the hawkers and doormen that try to lure unsuspecting foreigners, to one of the seedy upstairs bars. Finally bored with the sights and sounds I pointed my body toward my destination. I headed into the Bar.

I could not believe what was before my eyes. I thought I had walked into the wrong place. I knew I hadn?t because I passed the bar twice before mustering up the courage to enter. I had entered an establishment that reminded me of my favorite jazz club back in the states. Fumbling for another Camel, I started to absorb the surroundings. Coltrane was finishing, ?Love Supreme,? from some hidden speakers. I caught the faint smell of pipe tobacco mingling with brown leather and wormwood. Behind the bar there was a ceiling to floor mirror, centered between leaded glass cabinets. I spied a humidor that was full of cubanos cigars. Slowly, I made my way towards the back. Now I was nervous. I stubbed out my cigarette and promptly lit another. I was 45 minutes late. Thoughts that the guys I was supposed to meet left already entered my mind. Sometimes being tall isn?t always advantageous. This time it was. I caught a brief glimpse of a bald head. He was just the way he had dexcribed himself. I?d know him anywhere. Squeezing between two of the beautiful hostesses, I made my way over to Mr. Pink, and said hello. I was immediately greeted with a handshake and a slap on the back. He was with a group of five guys and one woman. While my drink was coming, introductions were made, Mr. Green, Mr. Brown, Mr. Blue, Mr. Yellow, Mr. Red, and Ms. Gravey. All my nervousness and apprehensions disappeared. We all talked for a while, we told stories that ended in loud laughter. The night wore on, and after an hour, I knew that Bangkok was my future home, and more important that I was among friends. I had finally arrived.

This was back in winter of 2001.

Saucier.

Archived