Ashes - 4th Test

Saiphon

O.K. - start whingeing Aussies!

Another incredible match. I must have lost kilos in nervous energy watching us scrape through to victory. Magnificent bowling from Warne and Lee almost saw you home for a totally unlikely win - it was riveting stuff as the whole series has been to date.

The two sides are both so talented and there isn't very much between them. I don't expect The Oval test to be any different, and who knows what twists and turns are still to come?

Having the luxury to watch it all live on TV has been a privelege, but not too good for the old ticker! Shane Warne must be one of the greatest cricketers of all time, and Freddie Flintoff could get right up there with him if his form continues.

A credit to sport, and there are no losers in this series.

Totally, agree, three very entertaining tests (not counting the 1st one), edge of the seat stuff. Can't stand Warne but have to admit he's one of the best cricketeers for years. I wish Ponting would shout something other than "Nice Shane".....

If I've ever wanted it to rain in England, its for the 5th test :D

'england england .....england england england... shut the fuck up'

:chili::elephant::yay::chili::elephant::yay::chili::elephant::yay::chili::elephant::yay::chili::elephant::yay::chili::elephant::yay:

go home now Boys............Ponting and his Boys are Yesterdays news.

i can imagine the headlines back home when Ponting becomes known as the 'Idiot who lost the Ashes'............... :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

And Lee, clearly LBW off a ball that squirted out but incorrectly credited with a run, when he had only made a couple. Or Warne suspiciously close to being run out but 3rd umpire not consulted etc. etc. The bad decisions do cut both ways, and the impact on the game is of course imponderable, although I could fully understand the Aussie media concentrating on the decisions that went against them. If we had lost, I expect our press would have done the same.

I think Ponting has a more correct view - his team have been outplayed and on the backfoot for the last 3 games, they have fought like tigers, but it has all come from a position of needing a recovery. If you win at The Oval then I will take my hat off to you - it's still been the greatest test series I have watched since the famous Botham Ashes series of 1981, maybe even surpassing that.

Yes i agree.....appears the*good* calls go with the flow..in other words the team that is on top....

Has been some shockers imo...

We dropped more catches this series than in last 10.....has had a poor tour...

Dont forget our strike bowler sat this one out...history wont give a shit just cold hard stats....

Ok....see you at the Oval.....

While i am at it...Ricky made a bad call to bowl and not bat ...forget where now....the list goes on....damn :doah:

I have my whites...can i play....

I agree that close calls or the luck or whatever seem to run with the side that is on top - happens in all sports, don't quite know why.

I've been thinking about what has gone wrong for the Aussies on this tour and have come up with the following, tell me what you think:-

1. A lack of experience/inability to play genuine swing bowling. Hoggard is very good in English conditions at swinging the new ball, and has looked dangerous whenever there has been some movement. Jones, most improved player in the side, is a master at reverse swing with the old ball. Flintoff is somewhere inbetween. All have troubled the batsmen considerably.

2. A lack of experience/ability to play a long SLOWER innings when you are in a back to the wall situation. The Aussies I have seen over the last few years have always "crash, bang, walloped" their way out of trouble with aggression. They have tried the same here but come unstuck because they are up against a better class of bowling (see above) and this has often resulted in getting out in the 20's/30's/40's when it looked as though they were set for a big score. Concentration has been lacking, probably because it hasn't normally been needed.

3. Slight signs of a great side just going over the hill? I'm not totally sure on this one, as some of the younger batsmen show great promise, and the old timers Warne and Mcgrath have often looked the best bowlers. However, despite the emerging brilliance of the lion-hearted Lee, the fourth and fifth bowlers (choose any selected) have not been effective which has given the English batsmen respite. Certainly the English attack is more poweful with everybody contributing and no easy pickings.

4. Wanting it more? This England side is on a roll, has been for some time, and desperately wants both the Ashes and the No. 1 crown. Whilst I don't think they want it any more than the Aussies, I think Ponting and co. are used to "bullying" the opposition both with their abilities and with their reputations. This time they have come up against an equal force and they just aren't used to it. It has flummoxed them. The fear factor that you might lose seems to be a new one for them.

5. Finally, captaincy. Winning captains always look good, even when they are only average. However, Vaughan has been very imaginative with his fielding positions and his bowling rotations, and has been relentless at keeping the pressure on. Ponting has become more defensive and reactive as the series has progressed. I can forgive his error at Edgbaston in putting England in - we all expected the ball to move around on the first morning, and on the back of the victory in the first test at Lords it would probably have crushed England for the whole series if it had worked. It didn't and maybe the knowledge that an error of judgement probably cost Australia the game has caused his extra caution ever since. He never quite backed his bowlers with full attacking fielding positions in England's second innings yesterday - even when they looked to be rocking mentally as well as on the scoresheet. I know he didn't have many runs to play with, but you don't often win by half playing not to lose. Most of the ex-pros in the TV commentary teams said they would have opened the bowling with Lee and WARNE as a bold positive gamble. Who knows what might have happened if he had! Certainly the early battering Trescothick gave Kasprowicz, and the later expensive spell from Tait, contributed greatly to England nudging home.

Well that's my five-penny worth. I repeat I won't moan if we lose at The Oval - I won't like it but I won't moan. (I thought Aussies always said it was us Poms who winge?!!) Sometimes the quality and drama of the contest and the glorious abilities of the contestants supercede the partisan outcome of the match.

P.S. If we keep this going maybe we can overtake the number of posts in the football (soccer) thread - the cricket has certainly overtaken football on the back pages of the daily broadsheets!

never saw the Katich decision but the Media do seem to think he was unfairly given out.

but does that excuse his reaction?.

he directed a stream of abuse at a section of the Pavilion which contained Women and Children.

he was heard to say 'fucking Pommie cunts' 3 times.

bad loser?.............

Archived