Private Dancer..----Again

While some would say it is over cynical, I would say it is essensial reading for anyone who goes near the bar girl scene. Apart from personally going through similar situations, there is no better way to open your eyes to the possible goings on in a bg's life. Read it soon!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for joining this discussion so late but only read Private Dancer on my latest trip to LOS.

I enjoyed reading it especially the way everything was in the first person. I could also relate to a lot of what happened in the book.

Upto the episode with the party to celebrate the purchase of the 4x4 by the girl and family it is very heavily an autobiography by Stephen Leather.

I also enjoyed the references to "Fatso's Bar" and "Big Ron". I remember Stephen Leather from when he used to eat and drink in a particular bar in Soi 4 in 1997 ie Fatso's Bar. When I was in Bangkok in early September I was talking to "Big Ron" in "Fatso's Bar" in Soi 4. "Big Ron" said he would not have minded had Stephen Leather used the real name of the bar and referred to him by his real name. However,he said there were other people in the Bar who would have definitely not liked to have their name up in lights.

Still a very good read.

Fatbastard33

PS What was not mentioned in the book was one of the days of Songkran (Songkram?) in Fatso's Bar in 1997. A lot of beer was drunk and when the bell rang you received a beer. Obviously at some stage you rang the bell and at the end of the day most people's bill was around 2,000 Baht (approximately 30 drinks x 70 Baht). However, in the evening it was noted that one person's bill came to about 120 Baht (the price of his breakfast). The name of the person? Stand up Stephen Leather. However, he was soon shamed into ringing the bell.

I just downloaded it and will give you my thoughts after I read it. It's under Unpublished at the link provided by nickkbh.

For those interested, the updated version of the book My Big Big Honey has been out for a few months. The most interesting parts are the interviews with bar girls. The basis of the book are letters written to BGs by their farang boy friends around the world, and the BG return letters.

Agree with most of the above. Great book. I chose, by happenstance, to take it with me on a very recent 5 day trip to Hua Hin with my girlfriend of 3 years to decide if we would marry or seperate after some serious infidelities and problems created by both her and myself.

Mine girl was a high volume dancer before I met her and viciously returned to the profession at G-Spot, PlaySkool and Fantasea during our myriad seperations as a result of misbehavior on her part or mine. Most of the problems came to a head as a result of moblile telephone calls....something not addressed in Stephen Leathers book. I have never loved anybody as strongly as I loved her and never believed such transparent lies before. Nor have I ever lied so often in a relationship.

Anyway, not that you are all interested in my personal life, but to put this all in perspective.......I took a printout of the book (I still can't read a novel on the screen)with me on the trip and read it in my spare moments. I thought it was far too hard on the girl and far too light on the Farang (Yeah, like he wouldn't fool around also?).

But, I gotta tell you the book was a Buddha-send to me. Helped me keep a skeptical edge when I was listening to her side of the story.

For those of you that have read this far and want to know the end of the story. We returned to BKK, I agreed to buy her a diamond ring, buy her a business so I could see if she still wanted to marry me when she had money and also agreed to take her to the US for Christmas to meet my family. If she still wanted to marry me after that(she could sell the 1 carat diamond if she wanted) I would marry her any day she wanted.

5 days after we returned we had a major blow-up about lying (her ,this time) and we haven't spoken in 18 days. I think the relationship is over.

Incidentally, she would have been smarter to have waited 3 more days to see the surprise I told her about. I had already bought her a business that would have made her about 80,000 or more per month. Now, I'm stuck with the business.

I am thankful for Leathers book, I think. She really did love me, I think. We might have been able to work it out, I think. Maybe we deserved each other. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.

Thank you Stephen Leather. Maybe.

the book/story was very good, prompte me to order some of his other works on line

( saving one to read next long plane ride)

I am glad he got the point across that many thais look at farnags as anamals/ below thais.

funny/sad IMHO.

Keep in mind, when we get enough snauk, (or fed up with the b.s.), we can retrun home ( to the western world) while the "superior" thais have a really tough time getting out of s.e. asia.

PasaThai, if you are after one of Leather's other books, I'd recommend Solitary Man, much of which is set in Bangkok. They are all good, but for someone who likes Thailand, this is probably the pick of the bunch.

Archived