Better than the Crazy Frog

Flashermac

THE NATION

Monk pioneers 'dhamma' ringtones

Sep 07 , 2005

Bored with the current range of mobile-phone ringtones? Then how about trying a "dhamma doctrine" ringtone that will keep your conduct in check every time you receive a call?

The dhamma ringtone is the brainchild of popular monk Phra Phayom Kalayano of Nonthaburi's Wat Suan Kaew, who said he found some of the ones on teenagers' mobiles these days distasteful.

"Some sounds seem to provoke unwholesome thoughts, such as the sound of a woman moaning in a sexual manner," he said.

"I thought about how we could introduce dhamma to ringtones. So I announced that I would make recordings of dhamma phrases for them and allow any interested mobile networks to use them free of charge. A few got in touch, saying they were interested in my idea," said Phra Phayom.

The ringtones will be available on all mobile-phone networks next week. The charge for downloading them will be equivalent to those for other tones on the market. All profits will be donated to the Wat Suan Kaew Foundation.

The ringtones consist of phrases like, "Anger is stupidity, fury is madness - if you don't succumb to anger, you won't succumb to stupidity and madness." And, "It is better to sweat from hard work than cry from laziness, which encourages poverty." Yet another will say, "Compose yourself before answering this call. Avoid being irascible and causing disputes."

Phra Phayom said he planned to update the phrases occasionally, to comment on social issues and offer pertinent advice. He said possible examples included, "Don't let mobile-phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy." Or, "Use the phone while practising mindfulness - don't let it use you."

Archived