Addressing a Thai

Is Khun proper for addressing a Thai of relatively higher rank such as president of an organization? Or is there better title to show respect?

Also, should such a person be addressed with first name or last name?

It will be my first meeting with him in Thailand, although I've met him a number of times elsewhere. He speaks good English and I speak no Thai so I'm sure I can get away with "Mr. " but I'd like to show proper respect at least in addressing him in his office and speaking to the secretary about him.

Ciao!

micsnee

Although I have little experience dealing with upper class Thais, this is my take on it:

KHUN + first name is entirely respectful and can be used to address almost any Thai, as well as with his secretary when referring to him. KHUN + nickname could be used in non business situations. KHUN + first and last name might be used in more formal business situations, or when introducing him to someone.

There is a more formal, ultra polite term THAAN(f) + first and last name which means the same, but would only be used on formal occasions to address elder monks, senior politicians, and hoity toity hi-so's.

Hi luckyfarang

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll try addressing this person Khun + first name, as he was often referred to as Mr. first name among the western circles.

Ciao!

micsnee

Archived