Thaksin pledges decisive action in South

rickfarang

Perhaps the last three paragraphs tell the story best.

------------

Bangkok Post web site, GENERAL NEWS - Sunday 25 September 2005

Thaksin pledges decisive action in South

By Post reporters

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has reaffirmed the government's plan to use decisive measures to deal with the southern unrest and told people not to vote for his Thai Rak Thai party again if he has failed to restore peace by the end of his term. He repeated his pledge to personally take full charge in closely supervising efforts to quell the continuing violence in the deep South.

``I will take responsibility for anything that goes wrong from now. If I don't do the job well during the next three years, don't vote me back in.

``If I violate the law, you can seek legal action against me,'' he said.

He made the emotional comments during his weekly radio address yesterday, three days after the murder of two marines at Tanyong Limo in Narathiwat.

``The incident at Ban Tanyong Limo has forced us to solve problems in southern border provinces decisively.

``I will be in charge of all tasks and take responsibility if there are any mistakes from now on,'' he said.

The prime minister branded those involved in the killing of the two marines as cruel animals for torturing them for more than 10 hours.

``I want to beg Bangkokians and all critics who are not involved to stop commenting or it could complicate the situation. In a state of emergency, officers will be fully authorised to work and shoot at any suspect. But here [people] keep talking and make it difficult for officers to work,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin said he would call a meeting of armed forces chiefs, army region commanders and all agencies concerned on Oct 1 to work out clearer policies and law enforcement plans to facilitate work by officials in the field.

``These bandits are never grateful to this country. I will never allow anyone to separate the country ... I'll take close charge. If officials are weak, I'll remove them. Just tell me where liberation zones are, I'll destroy them all,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin reiterated his plan to introduce multi-purpose ID cards, or smart cards, to all residents of the far South next month. Those with dual nationalities must choose only one.

``Those who don't want to be Thai can speak up. Everyone must have only one nationality,'' he said.

Local authorities have arrested two Tanyong Limo villagers on suspicion of involvement in the killing of the marines. Eleven others have been put on the police wanted list in connection with the killings.

Pol Gen Kowit Wattana, national police chief, yesterday urged the 11 people still at large to surrender and face charges.

He said investigators believe that the people who killed the marines are in the same group as those who previously opened fire on a tea shop.

The two detained suspects are Ulinsan Nikaji and Singchai Salae. The 11 others wanted for questioning have been identified as Boheng Baka, Tuwaemahroyi Tuansurong, Niamran Nikaji, Saman Doloh, Ni-ahchae Dormae, Sakaree Maruesah, Tuwae-useng Dormor, Nisoh Tingi, Anuwak Sa-ih, Sitipisah Dormae and Mada-oh Karde.

Meanwhile, a panel under the National Reconciliation Commission voiced concern that the incident might be a turning point for the southern situation.

The government might use the killings as an excuse to take a hardline approach in tackling the unrest, said a source close to the sub-panel which met at the Prince of Songkhla University, Pattani campus.

``Mr Thaksin's attitude towards the incident is worrisome. We are afraid the government will use drastic measures in tackling the problems,'' said the source.

Archived