Meaning of expression from thai film

Pescator

Some of my thai friends once in a while refer to an expression they have heard in a thai movie. And as soon as it has been said everybody starts laughing.

The sentence goes like this:

Son Sai Hua Thian Bord.

Now, I think I know all the words but I certainly don`t understand the meaning.

"Son Sai" like in I suspect that..

"Hua Thian" Spark Plug? or a candle?

"Bord" like in "Dtaa Bord" = blind?

I was told that this sentence was from a ghost movie and mayby it only makes sense if one has actually seen the movie, possibly the Nang Ek.

I realize it would be much easier to say something about the meaning of this sentence if I were to write it in thai, but as I am not sure about the words, I cannot.

Michael Christoffersen

I think it's from a TV ad selling some kind of engine oil.

The ad also took the idea from the popular ghose movie, Nang Nak.

In the ad, the female ghost appears to tell the guy that the spark plug is not working, she speaks in a slow haunted voice, and that's quite a memorable line for the viewers.

The conversation that you overheard, they might be making fun of a dead car or...

'show me the money' might be the one appropriate for this board.

quote:

Originally posted by TGIAM:

I think it's from a TV ad selling some kind of engine oil.

The ad also took the idea from the popular ghose movie, Nang Nak.

In the ad, the female ghost appears to tell the guy that the spark plug is not working, she speaks in a slow haunted voice, and that's quite a memorable line for the viewers.

I see. I sure found it hard to understand why it was so funny as I haven`t seen neither the Nang Nak movie nor the ad.

Thanks.

Regards

Michael Christoffersen

• 4 weeks later...

Archived