NEWBIE QUESTION

I'm having trouble distiguishing between "krup", "kop", "kha" and "khrap". I think I read in another post that Ka used at the end of a sentence was, in effect, to mean "please". I've also seen written a trans-sexual as both katoey, and kateoy. How is this word pronounced? Thanks in advance for your response.

These words don't directly translate as "please". The similarity is merely that 'please' is only used to make a request sound more polite; it has no meaning by itself. ("Please do this", "can I have some of that please?", "Yes, please".) The words Khrap (krub, etc.) and Kha are the same, except that you ALWAYS use them when you want to speak polite, not just when making requests. So, when you'd say "it's very delicious" when commenting on food, you'd still say "please" (khrap, kha) to make it polite. Of course you wouldn't do this in English, but you do in Thai.

Now then, this politeness-word comes in two flavours, one only used by male speakers, one only by female speakers. Note that it doesn't matter if you're speaking to a man or a woman, merely when you're a man you use 'khrap', while your mother, sister, wife would use 'kha'.

Because there is no standard transliteration of Thai to English (latin) script, you may see any Thai word in 5-20 different spellings. Krub, khrup, you name it. Same with kathoey, katheoy, kathoy, the list goes on.

With "kop" I suspect you're refering to saying "Thank you" in Thai which would be khop khun khrap = thank you "please". Again you may transcribe in English any way you feel like, (everyone else does) there is no standard.

So I also can't tell you how to say "kathoey" just by writing it. Just perhaps that the oe part has the same sound as the e in "her", the y as in "boy", so don't go saying katheryee or katherwee or whatever.

Finally, I write th because it's a 'hard' T sound, definately NOT th as in thing. more like the t in "Tea", "Top". Not the t as in "butter" but hard, almost like saying t and h at the same time.

Cheers,

Chanchao

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: Chanchao ]

Chanchao,

Thank you so much for your effort. I'm getting from this that I, as a male, would only say "Khrap". Saying "Kha" would be effeminant. I'm still confused though on the "katoey" issue. You have inserted an "R" in both examples, which has me still confused.

There actually is an 'official' transliteration scheme supported by the Thai government however I've heard it is not self consistent. I don't know the details though.

If your remaining question refers to the 'r' in 'khrap', my understanding that it is correct to pronounce it as spelled in this sentence but most listeners hear only 'kap' or 'kop' because it is such an overused word that many native Thai speakers tend to slur it a little or say it fast, thus obscuring all the indicated consonants.

You are right that saying 'kha' would make you sound effeminate. 'Katoey' will use the 'kha' particle and believe me it sounds pretty weird coming out in a deep voice. Why not just call them 'ladyboys' like all the bar girls do?

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: Lamock Chokaprret ]

quote:

Originally posted by HIGH THAIED:

You have inserted an "R" in both examples..

Let's hope that's all he inserted.

There's not many 'examples' that I would insert anything in.. well, maybe my boots if they reached for my wallet again. Ready Boys ? LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

krup or kup (high energetic voice) is just a masculine word meaning many things including yes, I agree, and sir/madam.

....Just finish your sentences with it....

If someone asks you a question, you understand but, can't offer a long agreeing answer, say "kup!"

ka said long and high, can mean kill.

It also means "cost" as in "raa kaa"

ka said low to high means leg

ka, middle or hi voice, said quickly is a womans word.

sometimes women say "ka" in a long high voice. It's not completely right but, it's modern.

Women will also say haa (high or high to low). At first I only heard the poofters say it but now nearly every girl in Bangkok is saying it to produce a polite, passive voice.

when a modern woman speaks, you may hear kaaah, ka!, and haaah all in the same conversation.

oh yeah! haaa low to high means find

high to low, long sounds gay.

high to low, short means five.

Too much info? Think about it as more english vocab and its easier to absorb.

eg.. whats more words for leg?

leg, lower limb, kaa (low to high)

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: mushroom ]

Archived