Translation please!

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Ennui:

Hi everyone,

Could someone please tell me what this means - ai fharhuk bhar.

Thanks!

when I was living in Thailand our neighbor had too many chickens running around the yard and I would often hear him yell "Ai here"! at them, which my wife said was bad language and couldn't translate for me.

a rough guess for me is "ai here" is the Thai equivalant to f**k!

and farang bah (crazy farang)is a common term of endearment (hopefully) you may hear quite often.

quote:

ai fharhuk bhar.

'fharhuk' = 'farang' ???

Quite a leap. I guess it's as good as any though.

quote:

when I was living in Thailand our neighbor had too many chickens running around the yard and I would often hear him yell "Ai here"! at them, which my wife said was bad language and couldn't translate for me.

By 'Ai here' could you mean, 'ai hia?' 'Hia' is a type of lizard and I understand the curse is quite vulgar if used towards a person. But a chicken? Could also be 'hee' which is a synonym of 'hoi' but more vulgar.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Ennui:

Hi everyone,

Could someone please tell me what this means - ai fharhuk bhar.

Thanks!

If you don't give a context you have little hope of any help. Transliterating the sounds a non-thai speaking farang THINKS a thai said into English script is extemely inacurate (i.e. I have no clue!)

"Hia" is indeed a lizard but it is more than just vulgar. It's one of the worst insults in the language(never ever call a Thai person a "hia" if you value your life). When I asked my Thai wife why it's such a bad word, she couldn't even bring herself to say it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived