Asking Questions in Thai

quote:

Originally posted by noo6:

ai as a prefix to a male name and ee for a female name, used much the same as khun. If used incorrectly impolite. These words arent issarn dialect but used all over thailand.

Hold on, you're mixing up two words here. There is the short Ai! (อั้ย ) which is only used when cursing people which you should never use. This is a Thai word.

Now, in the Northern language, (and also North Eastern) there is also a longer pronoun 'Aai' (อ้าย ) which can be translated more or less as 'phee' (older brother) in Thai. Nothing wrong with using that one when talking with Northern or North Eastern guys who are older than you, provided you don't say Ai! by mistake. :-) So to be safe, use khun, or when talking to younger women, "Nong".

Cheers,

Chanchao

[ August 30, 2001: Message edited by: Chanchao ]

Im sure youll find these are the same word.

Used throughout thailand in olden times for pii.In recent times, especially since the advent of a "standard thai", they have become considered as impolite, but probably more correctly these are informal or uneducated language terms.

from so sethaputra

อ้าย n.a designation used in contempt, imprecation or playful banter,before a proper name or generic name of a male

person, male animal or thing

he lists อั้ย but spelt ไอ้

้ำhe says this is the equivalent of อ้าย smile.gif" border="0

You've got to be careful NOT to "add" a question inflection at the end of a ...chai mai? question. Unlike most other major languages thai does not have question tones, rather they use question endings.. physical words or phrases that indicate a question is being asked..

If you're serious about learning thai and find tones hard.. I'd suggest that you learn the script (written text) at the same time you learn the verbal.. this way you'll never need to ask "what's the tone".. you'll already know based on the printed character..

That's the way I learned.. Plus your TGF will be amazed that you can understand her while she's talking on her torosup...

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0

As I wasn't aware of these pronouns ay and ee, (I just though it was speech like we might say ahh and ohh)I said to a friend (girl) ee bahh! and she attacked me violently.

mmm Not good prefixes guys... before you publish it, use it and see if it's good!

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: mushroom ]

Archived