Dumb U.S. Passport Photo Question

rickfarang

Dumb question because its a dumb problem.

I wonder whether anybody on this forum has had his or her U.S. passport renewed in Bangkok since the new requirement for 2"X2" pictures and can answer my question.

I had some pictures taken here in Bangkok, but while the head height is within the 1" to 1 3/8" specification, the image is cropped to 1 3/4 inches wide. Hey, its not like I carry a ruler around with me, so of course I didnt' discover this until I got home started filling out the form.

I figured, maybe I can use the photos anyway and save a coup hours and a couple hundred baht. Has anybody submitted an application with this photo format (this format may be common in Thailand.)

Thank you in advance for any potentially helpful information.

I renewed my passport in Bangkok last fall. (Previous one from New Orleans!) I wasn't aware of the new photo size and took along the usual passport type photos -- looking more or less respectable in a suit jacket and tie. But I was told they were not acceptable.

The US Embassy here must be in cahoots with a small shop nearby that does what the Embassy wants. I had to walk to it and get some new photos taken, Mr Potatohead style. Your face has to fill the entire photo, plus you can't be smiling. So if your pics aren't that type, the size wouldn't matter anyway. If they are, you might be able to slip by with them.

When I did get my passport, the photo seems sort of melted onto the page and is hard to see anyway. Wonder whose bright idea the new changes were ...

Ok, its off to the photography shop for a new one. I guess the guy misunderstood me and gave me the wrong style photo.

The photo (at least in the U.S.) is in a format that makes it easy for a computer to compare an image of the passport photo, that was scanned in and programmed into the chip in the passport, with the image captured by a camera on the counter at immigration.

AFIK the state of the art of face recognition is very poor, and IMHO its was only because somebody was frantic to spend the post-9/11 dollars that congress was throwing at them that this sstem is even in place. A lot of headache for little if any return. But its not their time and money they are spending. Politicians are the same the world over, I guess.

Archived