Batam Island

gobbledonk

Hi All,

Ever been to Batam ? It seems to be a weekend getaway for wealthy Malaysians and Singaporeans, but I'm sure that recent events in Bali will have people looking for more out-of-the-way holiday destinations. Hopefully, they wont all try to flock to the same place ....

Cheers,

Artie

Actually a week end getaway for the masses of not so well to do Singaporeans. There are of course places for the wealthy ones too. Just take a ferry from Singapore to Batam on a Thursday evening or Friday afternoon and you will see who they are. For western guys who are looking for the GFE you might find Batam to be a bit too much like a giant feed lot. And not wanting to start one of those back and forth are-so are-not threads, the overwhelming majority of women who work in the sex trade in Batam did not know what they were getting into when they arrived for thier first tour of duty.

We had some great golf weekends in Batam when I used to live in Singapore. The nightlife there is varied from and no doubt there is some uglier parts of the trade. However, there are some places like steps that have a good band and seem to attract a more savy bunch of freelancers. I haven't been there is a couple of years, but there were some gems in there.

I guy I know that runs a hotel there said many of the women in the bars work in the factories and moonlight in the bars for extra money.

I should ad, very cheap for drinks, ladies and accomodation.

many of the women in the bars work in the factories and moonlight in the bars for extra money.

The discos are full of semi-pros, especially on weekends. Had quite a few girls that had to leave at 7 am as it was time for work. One I didn't believe and she showed me her name tag for a dept. store. Stopped in the store later that afternoon and she wasn't shy about saying hello or her friends knowing (quite the opposite).

Ranger

Thanks for the feedback guys - it seems that Batam holds some appeal for many on the board, if your observations are anything to go by, but I am saddened by adik's comment:

the overwhelming majority of women who work in the sex trade in Batam did not know what they were getting into when they arrived for thier first tour of duty.

I dont doubt this, and I'm sure its true in many other parts of Indonesia (Surabaya, for one) : it seems that the NGOs have concentrated their efforts in Thailand and Cambodia, while the rest of Asia continues to turn a 'blind eye' to its domestic problems. Yes, I know that we dont discuss indentured prostitution on the board, but its one aspect of the whole 'cheap Sanuk' thing that isnt going to disappear anytime soon.

Cheers,

Artie

Archived