Rosetta Stone Thai Language course

Boo Radley

Does anyone know where the Rosetta Stone Thai Language course (full version) can be purchased in Bangkok? Apparently there's a mini version (Thai Explorer) that can be found at Pantip Plaza, but the full version is harder to find. Thanks in advance for any help.

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

Hi Boo

There's a computer superstore at the top of Ploenchit Centre - be damned if I can remember the name of it though!

It has a lot of software including the Rosetta Stone stuff. Don't know the price but it's all original - no pirated stuff so probably expensive.

Arai wa

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Arai wa ]

Hi Boo,

Back in May this year I searched high and low for Rosetta (pirated full version) but without success. Picked up the pirated mini version at Pantip (100 baht) but was told no one had yet copied the full version. If you do locate please,please post. I even tried the computor place in Chiang Mai (forgotten the name) but no luck there either. The genuine version is available in Oz at $AUD358 which is just too expensive !!

Cheers Hall.

Arai wa and Hall,

Thanks for your replies. If I find the original version in the Ploenchit Centre, I'll post up the price.

By the way, does anyone know the difference between the two versions? (apart from the mini version being smaller:-). Is the mini version worth getting?

Boo

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

Boo,

For a pirated copy of the mini at 100 baht definately worth getting but I doubt it is worth paying the price for the original which in Oz is $AUD58 for the mini. I suspect the difference between the mini and maxi is more phrases on the maxi. It is worth buying the mini before investing in the maxi to see if the teaching style suits. (unless you can get the maxi for 100 Baht of course).It is a multiple choice phrase/picture based system.i.e. The teacher reads a phrase in Thai-you have to click on the correct picture to match the phrase. It also shows the phrases in Thai fonts if you wish to read/write thai. Its major fault is that it does not teach grammer. It is strictly phrase based which is ok if you only want to tell the g/f 'the car is red' or 'the girl is humping' oops I mean jumping !!

Cheers Hall

Saw another Thai course tipped, possibly here, which is alright. A lot better than Routledge's Colloquial Thai which is littered with typos.

Anyway, it's:

Thai for Beginners

by Benjawan Poomsan Becker

Available from Amazon.com and it comes with 3 tapes. Also, rather usefully, teaches you how to read and write. Probably best to use it in conjunction with a native speaker p'raps once a week.

quote:

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Arai wa and Hall,

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

It depends on your knowledge of the language. I tried the Explored short version. If you know the language to some degree, you can kind of go through it withing a day or two. However if you are a newbie I guess it is still a useful item. But people who have studied before would certainly be better off with the regular version. By the way for all of you, you can also buy everything on the web. If you are diligent and have the time to wait for the lessons to download, it is much cheaper. If I remember correctly, you can use the on-line service for 3 months at a price of 50 dollar. If you have a fast connection, certainly worthwhile. But I think they will kind of force you to do the lessons in chronological order, so one can not benefit from jumping to the higher levels. (I assume this)

Archived