Thai Proverbs

Hi all,

Great new book availiable (or if it was previously availiable I'd never seen it) from Asia Books. It's called 'Have fun with Thai Proverbs'.

I'm real pleased to have found this as I've often had Thai friends tell me little proverbs here and there but this has them all under the one roof with their English equivalents alongside. There's about 100 of them in there. And, for all the khun keeniows like myself out there it's great value at only 120 baht!

Here's a few excerpts:

• Make hay while the sun shines.

นำขึ้นให้รีบตัก - Nam khun hai rip tak - When the water rises, hurry to collect some.

• When in Rome, do as the Romans.

เข้าเมืองตาหลิ่วให้หลิ่วต ตาตาม - Khao muang ta liu hai liu ta tam - When you enter a town where people wink, wink as they do.

• Rome was not built in a day.

ช้าช้าได้พร้าเล่มงาม - cha cha dai phra lem ngam - Slowly, slowly, you will get a fine knife (forging a blade).

• Practice what you preach.

ปากว่าตาขยิบ - Pak wa ta khayip - the mouth criticises while the eye winks.

• You can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.

ได้อย่างเสียอย่าง - Dai yang, sia yang - To get something, one must sacrifice something.

• Barking dogs seldom bite.

หมาเห่าไม่กัด - mah hao mai gat - same meaning..

(wouldn't apply to Bangkok dogs. They just scamper away at the site of humans!)

• You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

ไม้แก่ดัดยาก - Mai kae dat yak - It's hard to bend an old tree.

• To turn a blind eye.

เอาหูไปนาเอาตาไปไร่ - Ao hoo pai nah, ao ta pai rai - To take the ears to the paddy field, to take the eyes to the plantation.

Cheers,

Dan

[ October 20, 2001: Message edited by: Dan ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dan:

Hi all,

Great new book availiable (or if it was previously availiable I'd never seen it) from Asia Books. It's called 'Have fun with Thai Proverbs'.

I'm real pleased to have found this as I've often had Thai friends tell me little proverbs here and there but this has them all under the one roof with their English equivalents alongside. There's about 100 of them in there. And, for all the khun keeniows like myself out there it's great value at only 120 baht!

Snip

[ October 20, 2001: Message edited by: Dan ]

And this URL is for the hardcore cheapskates: smile.gif" border="0

Seasite proverbs

Archived