Tod Katin

limbo

Tod Katin,

A day somewhere this time of the year where Thai people give money to the local temple. The day may vary from temple to temple.

In Samui, I know of a few temples where it's taking place tomorrow morning, 22 October, very early in the morning. In Chaweng Temple about 1000 people are expected, all donating money.

In my family, a sister of my mother in law is donating 500.000,-Baht to her local temple, all notes on 4 different money trees. 2 trees with only 1.000Baht notes, one tree with 100Baht notes only and a tree with a mix of 100Baht and 500Baht notes.

The relatives (a.o. mom in law) and a few other people sleep in front of the money trees tonight, in the temple. More or less in the open air, sheltered though, a roof above them, but no windows or the like.

Seems to be a big thing with the women. Theravada Buddhism has no female monks -- at least in Thailand. (There are a few who were ordained in Sri Lanka, but the Thais aren't quite sure what to make of them.) And Buddhist nuns don't really get that much respect. Thus offering food to the monks and making donations at Tod Kathin time are Thai women's main ways of trying to make merit.

Men take part in it too, with HM the King presenting robes to senior monks in an annual ceremony. But notice who really seems to be involved in the smaller Tod Kathin offerings -- women. You will even see those trees with money clipped to them in the go-go bars! The BGs want to do their part.

• 1 month later...

Archived