Whats under the Buddhas feet?

doxx

I was at a Thai temple yesterday in Farang land and I followed a series of paintings from the life of the Buddha and in all of them, the Buddha was either standing on or walking on a special cuishon (spelling check please). Why is this? I seem to remember something with a Lotus flower but I cant make out the connection so help please ;)

Dox

Bsically, if the iconography is right, the Buddha is shown seated on a lotus with 8 petals (representing the 8 noble truth of Buddhism). The lotus in Buddhist iconography is a symbol of Buddha-nature, not attached, afloat and never sinking (water is at the origin of almost every cultural lore in SEA, Nagas, another ubiquitous feature of thai temples, come from its depth as well, to protect the Buddha).

The lotus is also considered a symbol of purity amidst impure settings (Nirvana vs samsara, ie. salvation vs cycles of lives), like brackish, soiled waters, and of course, from its round size, is another mandala-type design akin to the Chakra, the wheel of Dharma,with 8 spokes again, which Buddha, the Chakravarti (He who sets the Wheel on), thrones upon.

Just a beginning.... ::

Archived