The Thai Psyche

luckyfarang

Words that define the Thai psyche:

SA-NUK(l)…..generally translated as “fun”, but means so much more as any Thai aficionado knows. For us, it describes a lifestyle.

SA-NUK(l) SA-NAAN®…..I don’t have a really good handle on this very common idiom, but I think it means something like “jolly good fun”

SA-BAAI…..generally translated as “comfortable”, but has many idiomatic usages

SA-BAAI DEE…..I’m fine, I feel good/OK

MAI(f) SA-BAAI…..I don’t feel well, I’m sick

SA-BAAI MAAK(f)….. literally “very comfortable”, but has various idiomatic usages: “no problem, I can handle it, I could do it in my sleep, very easy for me”, etc

TAAM SA-BAAI….. “relax, take it easy, make yourself comfortable”

SA-DOOAK(l)….. “convenient, handy”…Thais like things that are easy and uncomplicated

TAAM SA-DOOAK(l)….. literally “follow convenience, or according to what’s convenient”, “to do something in the most convenient way, whatever’s most convenient”

HAWM®….. “fragrant”…Thais like things that smell nice, probably because they are frequently surrounded by foul smells

JAI YEN….. literally means “cool hearted”, but describes the whole state of mind of never losing your temper or becoming

impatient, smiling through adversity

JAI YEN YEN….. “calm down, take it easy, have a little patience, mellow out, etc”, a very commonly used idiom

JAI ROHN(h)….. “hotheaded, impatient, bad temper”

PAI THEEO(f)….. “to go out (for fun, not business), to party, to vacation, to tour, to visit (a place not a person), to look for fun….A phrase with many uses

MAA THEEO(f)….. (I’ve, He’s, etc) come here on vacation (just visiting, not working)

(PAI) THEEO(f) SAO®, (PAI) THEEO(f) POO(f) YING®….. to chase girls/women

NAK(h) TAWNG(f) THEEO(f)…..tourist

THEEO(f) GENG(l)….. to visit many places, to party seriously

NGAAM….. “charming” an idiom used much more frequently in Thai than English

SOOAI® NGAAM….. “beautiful”

SAO® NGAAM….. “a beauty contest contestant”, literally “charming girl”

NAA(f) RAK(h)….. “cute, loveable”…..generally used with children and animals, it can be used to “damn with faint praise” when the desired or expected response is “SOOAI® NGAAM”

GRENG JAI….. most often translated as “considerate”, this Thai idiom describes another very Thai concept of deferring to others (especially elders, authority figures, and anyone deemed of higher social status) and is often taken to annoying extremes. Can anyone help with a better description? I’ve been gone from LOS for too long now.

PEE(f) KAP NAWNG(f)….. This concept of older/younger brother/sister is common throughout Asia, but is probably taken to the extreme in Thailand. It is a common form of address between friends, relatives and equals. Every such relationship has a senior and a junior ranked by date of birth, and even identical twins are so marked by the first one born. It engenders a feeling that we are all brothers and sisters, suffering through the same hardships, fighting the same injustices.

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: luckyfarang ]

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: luckyfarang ]

Archived