More Words that Define the Thai Psyche

luckyfarang

* rice in thai ข้าว khaow long vowel falling tone

* rice in lao เข้า khow short vowel, low falling tone (thai doesnt have this tone) but I think in different parts of esarn the tone might vary.

* khow เขา ® he,him,she etc

* khow เข่า (l) knee

* khow เข้า (f) to enter

* khow เค้า (h) outline,plot of a story

* khaow ขาว ® white

* khaow ข่าว (l) news

* khaow คาว (m) stink, bad smell

* khaow ค้าว (h) a type of catfish

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: daeng bireley ]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Dan:

SNIP

But, having said that, I'm only going from all the hundreds of conversations I've had with Issan girls where they all have pronounced this word in the same tone as Thai (falling). Perhaps there are other subtle differences that someone else can enlighten us on.

Cheers,

Dan[/QB]

Isaan girls speak thai not lao when talking to farang. That is why you get to hear the long falling tone for rice.

Now when they speak lao you will hear rice pronounced with a short vowel and low tone.

The lao language has a number of words similar to thai but with a different pronounciation.

Try listen to their pronounciation (or ask) when they use the words for 5 or 9. There they change the pronounciation from the usual long falling tone to a long rising one.

Regards

Michael

thank you guys for the info.Yes the isaan girls say the thai version of rice when speaking to farang and other thai's but with someone they know is lao I think they use the lao dialect. I remember my Xgf and her sister, both 2 of 101 (roiet) finest going at it in full blown lao hehehe that what I call a language smile.gif" border="0 well well mo pen yang doh as we used to say! crazy.gif" border="0

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: The Mad Hatter ]

tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: The Mad Hatter ]

quote:

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter:

hmm this is very strange indeed then. I just talked to 4 different thai people tonight and they all said that the word for rice is said with different soundings in lao dialect and thai. But I don't want to pursue this any further so I lay down the sword. Eventhough I know I'm right. bye

Hi Mad Hatter,

Yes, you may well be right. I didn't want to come across as sounding arrogant in my post but as far as I'm certain about the Thai tones, I did hesitate in mentioning that the Laos tone was the same because I wasn't really 100% sure. So perhaps this was arrogant.. But, having said that, I'm only going from all the hundreds of conversations I've had with Issan girls where they all have pronounced this word in the same tone as Thai (falling). Perhaps there are other subtle differences that someone else can enlighten us on.

Cheers,

Dan

Daeng-

I am pretty certain that the first item on your list should have rising tone. Also, the first four items have a hard K sound rather than soft KH. I would have liked to see the number nine KAAO(f) on your list.

I am unfamiliar with KHOW(h) meaning plot or outline. Can you give an example of it's usage?

Daeng's list is perfectly correct. All of the words begin with the "kh". "Kaao" for "nine" does not belong on this list because it is a "k" not "kh" -- a completely different consonant sound.

The only thing I would add is that the first "khao", meaning "him or her" is usually pronounced with a high tone, not rising tone, in common usage.

Yes, it is an exception.

Spelled the same way and spoken with a rising tone, the word means "mountain" (as in "phu khao" or "Khaoyai National Park"), whereas with a high tone and it means "he" or "she".

One of the many problems transcribing thai to romanised alphabet is the gor gai "ก"

When words starting with gor gai are written in romanised alphabet they are usually written with a "k" whereas words starting with khor kai "ข" khor khwaay "ค" etc. are written with "kh". So the "k" is actually gor gai which is called a hard "g" or a soft "k" or sometimes an unaspirated "k".

Archived