Thai Words with Two or More English Meanings

luckyfarang

Many Thai words have several direct English translations and you must infer from context which meaning is appropriate.

LIANG(h)…..1)to raise (a child or animal), 2)to treat (pay for food/drinks/entertainment), to treat medically would be: RAK-SAA®, 3)to support (financially, as in MEE KON LIANG(h) she has a person supporting her, she has a sponsor), 4) to serve (as in JA LIANG(h) A-RAI “what are you serving” wink.gif" border="0 more literally “what are you treating us to”. The English word “serve” has been adopted into Thai and is widely used, as in DEK(l) SERV. RAP(h) CHAI(f) also means “to serve” as in KON RAP(h) CHAI(f) “a servant”

NGAAN…..1)work, 2)festival, 3)party

JAP(l)…..1) to grab, 2) to catch, 3) to arrest, 4) to touch

PA(l)-TI-SEHT(l)…..1) to deny, 2) to refuse

SA-MAK…..1) to volunteer , 2) to apply

PONG(f)-KAN…..1) to protect, 2) to defend, 3) to prevent

THAA(f)-TAAN…..1) pose, 2) position, 3) posture

SIA®…..1) to waste, 2) to pay 3) to die, 4) damaged/broken/ruined

TEUAN(l)…..1) to warn, 2) to remind

DAA…..1) to curse, 2) to scold

AAI…..1) shy, 2) embarrassed, 3) in awe of/intimidated by

FAHK(l)…..1) to deposit, 2) to hold something for someone, 3) to give as a gift MEE ARAI MAA FAHK(l)? “What did you bring me (as a gift)?”

HAAI®…..1) to disappear, 2) to recover from an illness “GA-MA-ROHK(f) HAAI® DEE REU YANG” “Have you recovered yet from your venereal disease?” 3) Also used for “to breathe” HAAI® JAI

HAI(f)….. 1)to give, 2)to let, 3)for me/you/him/her/them….. HAI(f) KHAO® THAM HAI(f)….. This phrase can have many meanings and must be in context to tell which: “Let him do it for you”, “Let her do it for me”, “Let her do it for them”, etc.

THEEO(f)….. 1)to visit, 2)to vacation, 3)to go out (for fun), 4)to party, 5)to tour

CHAI(f)…..1)to use, 2)to spend

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: luckyfarang ]

Archived