BBC 2/Timewatch, Khmer Rouge

Guest baldrick

I went on a tour of the Killing Fields. Of course its hard to imagine that an organization would kill millions of their countrymen but I can't even find the words to express the shock I experienced seeing the brutality.

For those who haven't been to the Killings Fields, there is a "memorial/display" made of glass containing hundreds of skulls of victims. The killing was done in person in the most brutal fashion. Driving a hammer through the skull, for example. Hundreds of crushed skulls.

I am not a student of history but am aware of the methods used by Hitler's crowd to kill Jews. Although what Hitler's crew did was horrible the methods they used to kill seem "humane" in comparison.

Seeing the Killing Fields kind of makes you wonder about the species we belong to and what it means to be human. So bizarre and horrible - beyond anything a writer of fiction could imagine.

Hi!

I was there in 96. I visited both the prison Tuol Sleng and the killing fields Choeng Ek. It was the prison that I was mostly taken by. The killing fields were mostly looking like a cow pasture (there were cows) with a lot of holes dug in them. The stupa with the skulls was of course awesome but still a little hard to relate to real human actions.

regards

ALHOLK

Tuol Sleng is very impressing indeed. Just imgaing what ever happened there is almost impossible.

Choeng Ek is not a nice play to visit, when I was there the cows had gone, around 97 or 98 but their were still fragments of human bones and teeth on the path you could walk.

Archived