Buddhist concept - Rinpoche

Pescator

quote:

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

A quick search on Google threw up the following although I must admit I have never heard of the word so can't verify the accuracy:

Rinpoche is a Tibetan term meaning "precious", and it is also an honorific reserved for recognized reincarnated Mahayana Buddhist high lamas.

http://www.lamazopa.com/

All right. Thanks.

Actually I thought it was a Theravada concept, but apparently it is not.

The original guru Rinpoche is said to have flown into Bhutan on the back of a tiger and introduced Tibetan Budhism to that country in about the 4th Century. Definetly not a therevada term. If your'e interested I'll post what I know from my time in Bhutan.

quote:

Originally posted by coquetislander:

The original guru Rinpoche is said to have flown into Bhutan on the back of a tiger and introduced Tibetan Budhism to that country in about the 4th Century. Definetly not a therevada term. If your'e interested I'll post what I know from my time in Bhutan.

I am indeed. Would appreciate that very much!

OK here goes.

Guru Rinpoche is believed by the Bhutanese to have flown around the himalayas, on the back of a tiger, establishing the 7 hidden valleys. One of these is the Thimphu Chu (river Thimphu). At a place called Takstang (Tiger's nest) which is at an elevation of about 12,000 feet and very inaccesible. There is a monastery here and I was allowed into the relic room and they let me blow the horn. A kind of huge alpenhorn which takes prayers with it's sound and travels a long way.

Rinpoche is almost as revered as Buddha himself in Bhutan, being a bodhisattiva and the first known missionary in Bhutan.

I didn't hold much with religion of any kind until I stayed in Bhutan. Now I am a Buddhist (8 years) and believe in Yeti, Chuti, and that tigers can fly. (You have to be there to "know" it's possible)

Living in Thailand now and missing Tibetan Buddhism. There seem to be so many monks here writing their own take on the Tripitaka that everyone has forgotten the principles. I also consider that there is far too much Chinese influence, in horoscopes and the like.

Give me a snowy yak herders hut and a butterlamp at 15,000 feet with the wind howling outside anyday. Then you don't need a book to "discover yourself".

Hope this has been of use.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: coquetislander ]

Archived