Chinese New Year

asiafun

I'd reckon Yawarat (Chinatown), it's about a 5-minute walk from the Hua Lamphong subway station.

Never been there during that time of year but I guess that should be the place to be for Chinese festivities.

BTW, Nakhon Sawan seems to get pretty packed as well since most CHinese living in Thailand gather in this province for the New Year celebrations.

You'll see the usual traditions -- burning "ghost money", offering food to the spirits, lion dances, the traditional sweets and pastries, giving money in red envelopes to the kids etc. But that is just the Chinese-Thais. It is not New Year to the Thais, so they don't pay much attention to the event.

Many Bangkok Chinese leave the city to visit their realtives around the country. Expect a lot of shops and restaurants to be closed, plus the traffic should be much lighter. For a few days it is actually pleasant to drive in Bangkok.

If you want to see some actual celebrating, go to Yaowarat (Chinatown) in Bangkok at the beginning of CNY. Other areas will have smaller versions, e.g. in my neighbourhood the local Chinese will set up a stage for Chinese opera performances each night.

Outside of Bangkok, Nakorn Sawan -- a largely Chinese city, is famous for its extravagant celebrations.

That sounds like it could be very fun and have a bit of potential. About the money, I have heard it called "hell money" not ghost money. Is there a difference or do I need to clean out my ears?

How about meeting a nice Thai-Chi girl in that area? Easy or are they ethno-centrist?

Archived