How are things in the south?

asiafun

Why? There have been grenade attacks in Bangkok every know and then. Always been loal politics.

yes, real problem:

and ask the injured or the family of the dead if they really care who was behind it

I've described the 1980s grenade attack at Patpong several times here. That was a disagreement between some vocational students and the doormen at a go-go bar. I arrived within minutes of the attack, just after the victims had been rushed away to the nearest hospital. You couldn't miss the pools of blood inside the bar and the brightly coloured high heel shoes of the dead or injured dancers. Quite a heart breaking sight. (The shrapnel had blown through the wooden door and killed the girls as they sat at the bar. Had it happened half an hour later, there would have been plenty of Farang victims too.)

A few years ago, a young maid was killed opening a politician's gate in the morning so that her boss could drive out. Someone had wired a grenade to the gate so that the pin would be pulled when the gate was opened. It was obviously meant for the pol, but killed an Isaan girl instead.

All sorts of war weapons are available on the black market here, smuggled in from Cambodia -- M-16s, AK-47s, M-79 bloop guns, .45 semi-auto pistols etc. I was once quoted a price of 60 baht for a fragmentation grenade, as if I wanted one of the damn things. Thus my point: if the factions in the southernmost provinces were going to do something in Bangkok, they could easily have done so already.

A greater danger would be from some foreign groups who decided to stage a bombing to "help" their "Muslim brothers" in the south. Thailand withdrew its non-combat military units from Iraq, after several were killed in a mortar attack and the Thai people started asking why the Thai troops were there in the first place. (Mr T's friendship with Bush?)

Archived