Government bans book.

chuckwoww

Bkkbound04 said:

This could be great marketing strategy, hype it up as the book they banned!!!! Has to sell more copies of it (even if its gonna disapoint when read as there is so little to shock or surprise).

JP

It's a strategy that works well in Western countries. Not sure about LOS. You need to get a debate going in the media to make it work. Maybe a law-suit or a mention on CNN would help? :)

I'll bet this throws a little more cold water on many authors and publications concerning Thailand.

Writers considering putting hundreds upon hundreds of hours into a book or article covering the farang nightlife scene in Thailand may well take this action into account while writing, lest their work be banned in one of their major markets.

This action combined with the much-hyped Internet censorship campaign, makes me worry about even innocuous sites like this one.

The definition of being "harmful" to the country, like many things in this country is pretty sbjective. And therein lies the greatest risk.

The most troubling aspects of conservative rules issued over the last couple of years, I haven't seen any protest or open dissent, except is the 7-11 "negotiation" over cigarette displays, and the occasional whining of us expats. What did someone say about absolute power?

Archived