I Need Serious Help

RayRay

I am tired of getting my ass kicked all over the golf course so have decided to get serious about it. No, I'm not planning on spending every waking moment at the practice range trying to become a scratch golfer or anything that drastic. However, I would like to be able to go out and hit some good shots and not embarrass myself (I'll save that for the bars).

Right now, if I have a good day I am in the high 80's to low 90's. On a bad day I'm around 100. I am looking to get my game to the level where I am in the mid 80's fairly consistently.

What I need to know is where can I go to get some quality lessons? I think I can fit in one lesson a week but have no idea where to go. The cost is not too much of a factor but I'm not going to do something nuts like pay $150 for a one hour lesson. The instructor is going to have to speak English fairly well.

I try to play at least once per weekend but sometimes I wind up going a month without evening looking at my clubs. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you are playing steady golf already; high80's low 90's is pretty enjoyable, steady golfing, certainly not in the ass kicking category anyway! The problem you have is that you are already a golfer - having one lesson a week to repair all the bad habits you (and 99% of us all) have picked up over the years is going to be a very lengthy task.

I shoot mid to high 80's usually, so we are about the same...I tried lessons back in England in the vain hope of reaching a single figure handicap, but it was an absolute nightmare! My swing is so deeply engrained in my game that it was bloody hard to change to the new swing/stance etc. But I tried. I recall having at least 7/8 lessons over a 2 month period. That 2 months was the most frustrating, gloomy 2 months of golf I have ever endured. Basically this is because they take your swing apart, and while you are learning this new method and technique, your game goes to shit! For me, it was like starting all over again! During those 2 months I went from shooting mid-high 80's to high 90's, low 100's! Sure, if I had stuck with it, a couple more months and the pendulum would have swung the other way and I probably would have got to single figure handicap - but I didn?t have the time to hit the driving range 4/5 times a week and I was getting pissed off with not enjoying my golf anymore. So I gave in, went back to my old golf game and had far more fun.

I?m only saying this because you have already said you play once a week but sometimes go a month without looking at your clubs. It?s my opinion that to change your game for the better and concede to lessons, you will have to hit the range at least 2/3 times a week and play no less than once a week. No point in having lessons unless you can commit the time to practice.

Face it mate - you are already a decent golfer. The average golfer shoots low-mid 90's, so you are already slightly above average. And you are having fun right now, and you don?t get to play often but when you do you enjoy it.... why make yourself miserable with lessons!

Hope this doesn?t sound negative! I?m actually trying to be positive - your games ok so tick with it and have fun! Lessons are a good idea but at our level, it requires a shit load of practice to improve, great if you have the time but crap if you dont.

Others may not agree with this analysis of course...JMHO!

I agree with Batty for the most part. If your not going to commit to practising there is not a lot of value in lessons. I would say to jsut work on your short game - putting and chipping and you will find that your scores will become more consistent than if you take lessons. If you think of all your best scores I'll bet it was on days that you putted well and/or mad some chips very close to the hole and not because you hit the ball sweet and long all through the round.

Lessons almost always set you back for quite a while until you get the hang of what they are teaching you and get out of the bad habits. This requires lots of work and practise.

Again just another opinion.

Archived