Little Guy "Fights City Hall" and Finally Wins

rickfarang

Tuesday

27 December 2005

Last updated 2:25 AM Thai local time

HOUSING ROWWOMAN COMPENSATED

Family accepts cash to vacate city hall land

SUPOJ WANCHAROEN

Rattana Sajathep yesterday accepted a 6.5-million-baht cheque from Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin, agreeing to vacate her shelter outside city hall where she has staged a protest for four months. Mrs Rattana, who will today pick up a second cheque for six million baht, plans to stay at a hotel with her family until moving into an apartment in Lard Prao next month.

Her tent outside city hall will be dismantled immediately and the prefabricated shelter will be moved to a warehouse in Pathum Thani.

Mrs Rattana and her family had camped outside city hall since August, demanding corrupt officials in Bung Kum district be punished for allowing a developer to trick her into buying a townhouse earmarked for demolition.

They lived in the tent until moving into the shelter donated by supporters.

Wiping away tears, Mrs Rattana said yesterday she would use the money to buy land and build a house. It would take more than a year to build.

She said she will donate the prefabricated house to a monk in Tak's Mae Sot district.

``We'll clean the area and hold a ceremony to ask for forgiveness from Mother Earth,'' Mrs Rattana said, adding she hoped her fight against injustice would inspire others.

``I can't believe this day has finally come. I had fought for 11 years for justice and fairness, not the money. I won't sue anyone even though I have the right to,'' she said.

The cheque she received yesterday was from a real estate developers association. The hand-over was witnessed by National Human Rights Commission chairman Saneh Chamarik. The cheque she receives today through the Consumers Protection Board is from the government.

``The city administration really intends to help Mrs Rattana because she has legitimate rights. I hope this will put an end to the dispute,'' Mr Apirak said, adding the high-profile case would serve as a lesson for the city administration.

Mr Saneh credited both Mrs Rattana and Mr Apirak for patience, allowing the dispute to be resolved amicably.

Once the check is handed over, I bet there will be a lot of relatives comming out of the woodwork.

as for the face lost by gov in this. Mrs Rattana should be jumpy every time a motorbike comes up on her ( from either direction)

Archived