Fire by NEP/Soi 3

Khun_Kong

Anybody else see the excitement last night? Around 0030, start hearing many sirens, trucks and police screaming down Suk from both directions in all lanes, converging at the Suk/Soi 3/Soi 4 intersection. Fire brigades out in force, soi 3 blocked off, much running about. Must have been at least 20 fire-fighting vehicles, many portable pumps to generate water pressure, lotsa hose, masks, the full deal.

The fire was up the second small alley to the left as you go up soi 3 from Suk, in the building behind Nana Square. Has some Arab food joints (Mahi Mala or some such), before the little beer bars. Smoke was billowing out of the top floor. The orange flames were licking their chops, almost breaking out in force, but the Thai guys did a good job, dumping massive amounts of water on the thing and bringing it back under control. Everything gone by about 0230.

I was able to walk up the alley and stand amidst the firefighters and snap many pics and take a few minutes of video. I'll see if I can post some on the site.

Interesting: great crowds of farang watching the fire, but at 0100, in front of Nana, the usual crowd took a quick look up the street, then, business as usual- they didn't miss a beat, even with all of the smoke and confusion 1/2 block away!

Archived