Lucky's List

luckyfarang

Here's a few concepts that I could use some help from the members of the board to properly expess:

1) to focus on (a subject), to concentrate (one's attention on) All I can think of is NEUK THEUNG which has other meanings but could also mean to concentrate?

2) to nag

3) to make a relationship work, to work on a relationship

4) "tempted" Not literally. E.g. I'm tempted to skip Bangkok this year and go directly to Pattaya. I'm tempted to take you up on your offer.

5) "You deserve it" One very useful and potentially rude expression is SOM-NAM-NAA which means "It serves you right" and could mean "you deserve it" in a negative sense, but how would you say "you deserve something good"?

6) "Appreciate" as in "I appreciate your help or your concern or your interest"

7)"Nymphomaniac or sex fiend" I know GAI is used for a sexually loose young girl and BAA GAAM means something like "sex mad", and POO WEEPARIT means "pervert", but I'm sure there's another word out there I need to know.

Thanks Lucky for making me realise just how poor my Thai is LOL

I wish I knew the answer to just one of them but I don't.

I love the expression 'som nam naa' but Thais have mixed reactions as to how offensive this is. Care to shed a bit of light on it?

'BON' can be translated either as to nag or to complain as far as I know. (e.g. Why are you always nagging me ? is 'Tammai kun bon pom sa-mer')

'ROO SEUK KORP KUN' can be used as appreciate, depending on the circumstances.

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: Iaxia ]

Iaxia - thanks, that is the phrase I was looking for.

Phil - SOMNAMNAA is a great word because every Thai understands what it means. Almost exactly the same as saying "It serves you/him/her/me right" in english. It can be considered rude in some contexts, just as it would be in english, and when I first asked one very polite person years ago what it meant, he said he never used the word himself.

luckyfarang

>>1) to focus on (a subject), to concentrate (one's attention on) All I can think of is NEUK THEUNG which has other meanings but could also mean to concentrate?>>

Tang Jai

eg : tang jai raen = focus/concentrate on your study.

>>3) to make a relationship work, to work on a relationship>>

This one is hard. I would say "pa-ya-yam tum hai chee-wit koo pra-sop kuom som-ret". It literally means in Thai " to try to make a couple's life successful."

>>4) "tempted" Not literally. E.g. I'm tempted to skip Bangkok this year and go directly to Pattaya. I'm tempted to take you up on your offer.>>

COuldn't think of anything at the mo.

>>5 "You deserve it" One very useful and potentially rude expression is SOM-NAM-NAA which means "It serves you right" and could mean "you deserve it" in a negative sense, but how would you say "you deserve something good"?

"Khun som kuan ja dai rub"

>>7)"Nymphomaniac or sex fiend" I know GAI is used for a sexually loose young girl and BAA GAAM means something like "sex mad", and POO WEEPARIT means "pervert", but I'm sure there's another word out there I need to know.>>

"Pean non".

Pean = friend.

Non(long sound) = sleep.

So it means friend for sleeping with laugh.gif" border="0

Hope these help.

Archived