What about "Colloquial Thai?"

Brink15

Hi Brink,

Yeah sorry about that. I don't know anything about that book at all, but the general concensus at the moment seems to be that the series of books by Becker (a Thai woman now living in the US) are pretty good. The names of the books escape me but she seems to know what she's on about even if the organisation of the text is lousy.

I will admit that I did give 'Thai for Lovers' a bit of a roasting in a past thread, but on further inspection - yes, it has some good stuff in there.

A couple of weeks back I bought the Thai - Rough Guide dictionary phrasebook which is the best I've ever seen in that genre. Streets ahead of the awful Lonely Planet one.

Brink,

I borrowed a copy of 'Colloquial Thai' from my local library for a few weeks to try out. I think it's a pretty good book for learing how to speak Thai - lots of good drills to go through.

There are a couple of weaknesses, however: first, the is not much about the written language in the course. Second, the romanization system they use in the book is kind of wierd - they don't match the true sounds of the Thai language very closely. I know you cannot have an exact match, but they are way off with some of the sounds.

JG

Archived