PM Pledging to be calmer? Oh no, not again.

limbo

STOPPAGE TIME: PM pledging to be calmer? Oh no, not again

Published on January 04, 2006 The Nation

I have learned my lesson and am not going to get over-excited this time. The previous time Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra expressed his willingness to tolerate criticism, all hell broke loose in the days that followed. The pattern has become so obvious ? whenever he promises to ?cool down?, the extreme opposite tends to happen.

So, when I read that one of his New Year pledges was to be calmer when facing the critics, I was tempted to suggest they get helmets and good lawyers handy. And perhaps a Dictionary of Political Expletives as well. (Sometimes you have to check whether some seemingly vulgar statements by national leaders carry double meanings. For example, when they call you the lowest form of life, they might actually mean well.)

Otherwise, though, his New Year vow sounds pretty sweet. ?I?m one year older and my temper will get less hot as I age,? he said. This brings to mind an even sweeter promise he made in February last year following his party?s landslide election triumph: ?Four years from now, my critics in academia and the opposition will know me better. I?m willing to open myself up to criticism.? Umnn ... to be fair, he didn?t say he wouldn?t shoot back or try to bankrupt newspapers with a billion-baht lawsuit, did he?

As far as critics are concerned, Thaksin spent 2005 looking like a drunken cowboy firing randomly. The Bangkok Post lawsuit led to the removal of some senior editors. Buzzers and a little sign with an ?X? that he held up from behind the podium were used to snub ?unconstructive? questions at Government House press conferences. Then there was the wrath directed at his friend-turned-foe Sondhi Limthongkul. These are just a few examples. The PM became sombre for a few days following a royal reproach on December 4. Then came another big outburst during the Christmas period before he became sedate yet again.

If Thaksin is, as of now, a barely dormant volcano having its worst nightmare, just take a look at all the stimulants abundant this year. Sondhi will continue his ?barking? from Lumpini Park. (Though I agree with a reader who saw an uncanny similarity between Sondhi and the new animated version of ?Chicken Little?, I don?t think Thaksin will ever find him cute.)

Those targeted in the staggering Shin Corp civil cases against Thai Post and media activist Supinya Klangnarong are bracing for impending verdicts. More Suvarnabhumi Airport scandals will surely surface. Snoh Thienthong is threatening to revolt again, though to me he?s nothing but a man playing hide and seek with his conscience.

And armed with fresh ammunition, the opposition will come out with all guns blazing this year. Following their crucial by-election wins in October, the Democrats and their allies will have the numbers in Parliament needed to initiate impeachment proceedings against any Cabinet member ? even Thaksin could be their first target. And we all know that nothing irritates ? if not worries ? the leader like the threat of impeachment.

Meanwhile, the suspended listing of Egat Plc will continue to be a mammoth issue, with the Supreme Administrative Court holding all the cards. Thaksin, to everyone?s surprise, kept his cool when the court issued an injunction blocking Egats? privatisation process late last year. The moment of truth in that case will come soon. While you wouldn?t expect him to lash out directly at the court if the final ruling kills the Egat Plc scheme for good, don?t get near him if that happens.

Another real test for Thaksin?s promise to calm down involves a global body, the mere mentioning of which has often been enough to invoke his temper. As the government is set to intensify its campaign to make Surakiart Sathirathai the next secretary-general of the United Nations ? while the critics are regrouping for a final assault ? we can see blood all over the place this time.

Then the stubborn issue of his family?s obscene wealth will continue to hound him. Calls for constitutional changes to tone down his power will grow. The impasse over Auditor-General Jaruvan Maintaka persists. There will be more reports on factional problems within his party. And judging from what we have seen from the dozen Cabinet reshuffles he effected, the critics are unlikely to sing his praises for the next one.

With all these problems lurking around him, one may wonder how long he can keep his cool. Others may have already stopped hoping. As for me, no more benefit of the doubt for him this time. He can be as angry as he wants to be and show it as much as he wants. Just one more thing ? and here I believe I?m talking on behalf of many Thai people ? we have never seen him angry at obviously corrupt politicians in his government or inefficient ministers in his Cabinet. Get mad at them, for a change, and all will be forgotten.

Tulsathit Taptim

Archived