Re Apache

mako

paul101 said:

Very interesting thanks, where do you teach khmer? Seems surprising how the language has changed in such a short time. Do you know much about khmer music?

At a university in the US.

language change really isn't surprising; it doesn't take much for new dialects to develop in a language. and surin khmer is hardly "new," anyway...I'm not that up on the history of lower isaan, but I highly doubt it was under control of the khmers up until 1905. especially since for the entire 19th century, thailand controlled battambang and siem reap provinces in cambodia, and only lost them to french bullying in the early 1900s (trivia: the thais got them back for 5 year in the 40's when they got in bed with the nazis...in fact, the victory monument is a memorial to the battle with the french after which they were awarded those provinces, in 1940!)...

so I doubt if the thais could have control over two provinces so close to the center of cambodian population and not also have control over provinces much further out, like surin, buriram and sisaket. but I could be wrong.

khmer music? I know a bit, but the language is my specialty.

preahko

Archived