Discount stores asked to reduce hours in LOS

I just read the following story in the Bangkok Post online edition:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/29Aug2001_biz60.html

There are a couple of paragraphs in the story that I find particularly interesting:

quote:

The issue was also raised at yesterday's cabinet meeting. Small local retailers have been lobbying for protection in the face of deep-pocketed operators, many of them foreign-owned, that are able to buy in huge volumes and charge lower prices.

However, it was hard to shift Thai consumers away from the discount stores because they had grown to enjoy the convenience modern-style retailing offered, ministers were told.

So, a special interest group is pressuring the government of Thailand to make retail shopping less convenient, less modern and more expensive for Thai consumers.

Is this just the general mentality in Thailand, or is it part of the current anti-foreign sentiments?

JG

Usually I'm happy to support the underdog, but in Thailand can't think of many reasons to support the crappy Mom & Pop stores that are around here. I get my paper and odds & ends from a small shop who are still as happy to short change me now as they were 8 years ago. Never ever had a grunt of recognition or thanks in 8 years of going there either from the old bag who handles the money or her skinny arsed old man who looks like he has worn the same shitty singlet and shorts combo since he came out from China some 85 years ago.

There's another piece in todays Business Post full of hysterical 'foreign devil' shit from the smaller store owners.

Apparantly, Thailand is being 'robbed and raped' by the likes of Tesco/Lotus, Carrefour, Big C, Makro et al.

I just wonder if the rape and robbery occured before, during or after the plundering and pillaging of the Thai economy by their own politicians and Captains of Commerce and Industry.

The above mentioned companies are now likened to the foreign invaders of world war 2. Erm.... excuse me, but wasn't it these white devils who saved their sorry asses from the Japanese during that particular period of collaboration - oops - I mean occupation?

But heck - Tokyu, Isetan and Zen aren't on the (s)hitlist. Funny that.

One stupid cow quoted in the article warns customers that the aircon in these places is riddled with viruses. What's so good about large air-conditioned stores? Air-conditioning can be a health hazard. There should be studies to show how many people have contracted viruses from discount stores,'' she said. PROBABLY A LOT F*CKING LESS THAN THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO DIED WHEN ONE OF THE FLOORS COLLAPSED IN A THAI MERRY KING STORE A FEW YEARS BACK SAYS I!

And if you thought Toxin was a xenophobic nationalist, just wait till the United National Resurrection Group get up to speed after their 'planned major demonstration' next week.

Shit.... this stuff would be hilarious if it wasn't so scary.

Here's a link to the article. Read it and weep.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/Business/30Aug2001_biz45.html

Arai wa

Archived