Dictionary recommendation?

Hi to all,

I see a list of thai/english dictionaries listed in amazon.com. As being able to browse and esp. compare the actual books like these in bookstores is rare here in US, can the students as well as the masters of the language here give us some recommendations?

By the way, I'm just a rank beginner just familiarizing myself with thai alphabets on my own (hopefully I can distinguish the busses on my next trip). One feature that I would insist upon is clear printing, esp. of thai characters -- I hate cheap paperbacks that have lousy printing! (E.g.: I wish "Easy Thai" by Gordon Allison which I picked up in Bangkok on my last trip and gave me good intro to the language used clearer thai fonts for a beginner like me)

Bikini line's earlier suggestion of PC dictionary is not workable for me, a proud Mac user.

Thanks and Ciao!

micsnee

It's not exactly a comprehensive dictionary, but the Rough Guide pocket dictionary is one of the best I've found.

It has a great tutorial in the front, and many words have common phrases that explain the word in context, thus preventing you from using the wrong word. Each word is shown in Thai script, so you can show it to a Thai speaker, and get the exact pronunciation (althought the guide to pronunciation they have is very good, and easy to understand). It has little segments on Thai customs, etc., throughout, so when you look up "kiss", for example, you can read about the "sniff kiss". Finally, it has a reverse dictionary in the back, so if you hear the word in Thai, you can look up the English equivalent. And it all fits in your pocket.

I keep Robertson's PRACTICAL ENGLISH THAI DICTIONARY next to my computer and glance at it while waiting for pages to load. What is important in these dictionaries besides accuracy, of course, is that the romanization system they use is very clear, to help us pronounce the Thai. I think Robertson's is one of the best. A small yellow dictionary.

Cheers!

Hi and thanks to the above 3 for the recommendations.

By the way, are there good selections of thai/english dictionaries at Bangkok bookstores like Asia Books, etc? I may be able to go there next month.

Thanks and Ciao!

micsnee

• 3 weeks later...

Hi and thanks to all for the suggestions.

I'm in BKK now so I'll make a round of the bookstores during the day to get my impression of the dictionaries.

Ciao!

micsnee

Archived