Lucky's List II

luckyfarang

I'm generally looking for finer shades of meaning and specific usages for words, but thanks also to those of you who go to the dictionary for help.

TO TAKE TURNS (doing something)Probably the same as the word for "alternate" doing something.

IT'S YOUR TURN (to do something) My closest guess to this is TEUNG WEHN which probably means closer to "It's your shift" or "It's your watch".

TO GET ENGAGED (marriage) I know MAN is "engagement" and KOO MAN is "fiance" and there is probably a related word for getting engaged.

TURNOFF/TURNON In the sense of "It's a real turnoff when she sticks her tongue in my ear.

SUBTLE Don't Thais have a word for this?

FANTASY In the usage of "It's a personal fantasy of mine to..."

IMAGINATION

IMAGINE (THAT...) I use the word SOMOOT (WA) to mean this, but it literally means SUPPOSE (THAT...)Maybe it means both.

SOLUTION like the solution to a problem. I would say KWAAM GAE PANHAA, but maybe there is a simpler more direct way to say it.

luckyfarang:

"TO TAKE TURNS (doing something)Probably the same as the word for "alternate" doing something."

Plad kan (+ doing something).

"IT'S YOUR TURN (to do something) My closest guess to this is TEUNG WEHN which probably means closer to "It's your shift" or "It's your watch"."

Teung Ta Khun.

"TO GET ENGAGED (marriage) I know MAN is "engagement" and KOO MAN is "fiance" and there is probably a related word for getting engaged."

There're no more words for it.

"TURNOFF/TURNON In the sense of "It's a real turnoff when she sticks her tongue in my ear."

Mod a-rom.

"SUBTLE Don't Thais have a word for this?"

I would say Kow Jai Yak or Lerk Lub ??

"FANTASY In the usage of "It's a personal fantasy of mine to..."

No direct word for it. But I guess you could try Kwaam Fai Fun ??

"IMAGINE (THAT...) I use the word SOMOOT (WA) to mean this, but it literally means SUPPOSE (THAT...)Maybe it means both."

Long Kid Du Si Wa.

OR Long Neuk Du Si Wa.Try thinking that..

"SOLUTION like the solution to a problem. I would say KWAAM GAE PANHAA, but maybe there is a simpler more direct way to say it"

Tang Aorg = Exit

Wi-tee Gae Panhaa = way to solve the problem

Kaan Gae Panhaa. Don't use KWAAM GAE PANHAA.

Sabaidee- Thanks for responding.

Teung Ta Khun.

What is the meaning and tone of Ta? Obviouly not the same word meaning "eye" or "dock/pier".

TURNOFF/TURNON Mod a-rom Is there any good word meaning turnon? SERM A-ROM? How would you say "You turn me on?"

Long Kid Du Si Wa.

OR Long Neuk Du Si Wa.Try thinking that..

What is the meaning and tone of Si? Would it be the particle expressing urgency with a high tone?

Tang Aorg = Exit You've lost me on this one. I know the word, just not why it's here.

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Originally posted by luckyfarang:

'How would you say "You turn me on?"'

Khun plook (short u-sound) alom gaeng - you make me damn horny!

What is the tone on "gaeng". Don't you mean "ngian(f)"? Have you used this phrase before?

• 3 weeks later...

"What is the tone on "gaeng". Don't you mean "ngian(f)"? Have you used this phrase before?"

God, I'm awful when it comes to the tones. I'd say mid-tone? It's the same "gaeng" as in "phut Thai gaeng".

Have I used this phrase before? I've heard it may times!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

"What is the tone on "gaeng". Don't you mean "ngian(f)"? Have you used this phrase before?"

God, I'm awful when it comes to the tones. I'd say mid-tone? It's the same "gaeng" as in "phut Thai gaeng".

Have I used this phrase before? I've heard it may times!!!

A more accurate transliteration of GAENG as in PHUT THAI GAENG would be GENG since GAENG implies (in my eyes at least) the vowel แ not the vowel เ.

GENG เก่ง should be low tone.

P.S. was interested in the phrase KHUN PLOOK AROM GENG. Would be interested to know if it's GENG เก่ง or NGIAN à§Õè¹.

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: Boo Radley ]

Archived