Retirement?

Solomick

I'd say try living here for a while before making any long term decision. I've known a few people who retired early here, only to get bored and go back home after six months or so. Seems they couldn't think of anything to do except go out to the bars and fool around with BGs. A couple of months of that is enough to turn anyone off on the scene! You have to find other things to keep you occupied -- and the selection here is far less than in the west.

p.s. You CAN own a business without a Thai wife. What it requires is Thai PARTNERS ... who as often as not may be simply names on the documents. (A friend used his maid and her family. They were happy to sign for a little money and in reality had absolutely nothing to do with his company.) Think it costs 20,000 baht to register a company here. But you now have to have an accountant file tax statements every month, and you are supposed to have at least 3 Thai employees. Even if you don't have any, you have to pay taxes on them as if you did.

Thanks for comments :)

I was thinking about semi retirement, maybe 1 or 2 months a year work depending on what the cost of living in LOS.

I think after this current job finishes in July I will take the rest of year off and come over with the wife for 3 or 4 months and then see how we feel.

Archived