Expanded Pimsleur Thai Course Coming Feb. 06

McBif

Gents,

A few months back I managed to get hold of the original 10 lesson (1/2 hour each) Pimsleur Thai CDs. I was very impressed. It doesn't teach you a ton of vocab but it what it does teach you, you remember due to the CONSTANT repetition. Properly, you should do one lesson a day as many times as you want or have time for.

Anyway, I wrote to them asking if they planned to expand the course and they replied that in Feb. 06 they'll issue a 30 lesson version (the first ten lessons will be from the original, I'm pretty sure). Trouble is the notorious cost of the Pimsleur language courses: $318.00 Canadian (plus our 15% taxes) for this set!

It is, however, worth it, believe it or not. A case of getting what you pay for, I think. I've been studying Thai from books on and off for years and probably "know" 700-odd words. But I stutter and gape and grope (I've never actually lived in Thailand) in a retarded and no doubt very wearying way for kindly Thai listeners. After doing the Pimsleur for a couple of weeks you're practically dreaming in it, though talking at very basic level. But fluently with excellent pronunciation.

If you've never listened to the Pimsleur programs, grab one in any language from the library if you can and check it out. Every language is taught the same with the same conversations: It's always a Yank visiting wherever and basically trying to get a local babe to go out with him. Very 'sixties and not politically correct, thank God!

Anyway, a month or two staying out of Starbucks (or a couple of weeks outa the bars) should cover the cost.

Bif

Archived