Regional accent variations?

Lusty

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For most Canadians, the only give away is the "ou' sound and possibly an "eh" at the end of the sentence. (They don't say "eh" in the west, nor do Newfies.) The Canadian "ou" is sort of an "uh-oo" sound, not an "ah-oh". Other than that, they sound like the US Midwest.

I had a colleague a while back who was from Toronto. As soon as he opened his mouth, I knew he was a Canuck. He was amazed and was unaware that he sounded any differently from folks south of the border. Listen to the great "Homeworld" PC games series. I was surprised to hear the voices all speaking Canuck. First time I'd heard that in a PC game.

I found a lot of amercians confuse the English and the Austalian accent. For some reason when I went aussie was always the first guess!!! bizarre as England has 10 times the population is just across the pond and I'm pretty pasty.

Hi Lusty,

Cross the border literally 1 mile and the accent is 100% scottish... . come the other way and it is 100% northern english....

The reason I summise is that the people above the border are 100% scottish and the education system is scottish....

Same on the England / Wales border, again different schooling and a strong sense of identity .

STH

Archived