Nok Air fails to lift off, skids off runway

rickfarang

The evening news said the passengers were later taken to Phuket on a Tahi Airways airplane. Those in Phuket had to wait 4 or 5 hours to fly out.

It will be interesting to see the resutls of the investigation. Its nice to see Thai take care of the passengers (acutally, its a little surprising.)

-------------------

Nok Air fails to lift off, skids off runway

BANGKOK: -- A Thai budget airline jetliner skidded off a runway Sunday afternoon as it was making an emergency landing at Bangkok International Airport following engine trouble, according to company executives.

Somchainuk Engtrakul, acting president national carrier Thai Airways International, Nok Air's parent company, said some 109 passengers were aboard Nok Air flight DD7506.

The Boeing 737-400 was departing Bangkok to the southern resort island of Phuket Sunday afternoon but was forced to abort its takeoff shortly after the left engine developed trouble and stopped functioning before it lifted off.

The problem forced the plane to skid off the runway, according to Mr. Somchainuk.

THAI emergency centre director Surapol Isarangkura na Ayutthaya said that all passengers were safe and that no one was injured. They were transferred to another aircraft.

An investigation is underway to determine the cause of the engine malfunction, he said.

--TNA 2006-02-05

TG owns nok air does it not? I read somewhere that out of 90 airlines world wide that TG,s safety record is in the bottom 5.

Anyone have any specific details on the safety records of TG?

Since Thai airways owns Nok, why is it surprising to have contingency plans?

Those passengers are their responsiblity. If anything, if i was CEO, i would be asking, why did we not get them in the air sooner than five hours? But the bigger question is, was the engine problem due to poor maintenence or could have been anticipated or even suspected?

The leadership should be asking tough questions as well as the national safety board in their soon to be evaluation...

CB

Archived